cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance company makes Medical payment, does it reage account? Also DOFD help.

tag
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Insurance company makes Medical payment, does it reage account? Also DOFD help.

Multiple questions for the experts here. Today I received an alert for new collections on my credit report. A new collection agency is reporting two old medical bills from 2010 (one for $330 and one for $64). I was in an auto accident on May 27, 2010, that was not my fault. There was approximately $100,000 in medical bills. Four insurance companies paid out on this claim. There was the at-fault drivers insurance, the car I was driving had insurance, my under-insured insurance, and also my health insurance; these four covered all of my medical bills. Well, the collection agency is reporting the date as August of 2010. I called the hospital and they are saying that my date of service was on March of 2010 (two months before the accident). So neither the hospital nor the collection agency have the correct dates. The hospital is saying that two payments of $36 and $32 were made by Allstate (my auto insurance) in 2011. Also, Equifax says the collections will fall off automatically in May of 2017.

So my questions are:

1. What is the correct date of DOFD that is to be reported to the Credit Bureaus? The hospital says its delinquent 90 days after service and that's when they send it to a collection agency, which is where the collection agency is getting the August 2010 date from.

2. The representative from the collection agency told me if I pay them, they will report as a paid collection and will stay on there for 7 years. Or I can wait the time for it to naturally fall off (which is about a year). But I called Allstate and they are going to see why they only paid a portion of it. If they decide to pay the bill, will it reage the account? Since I am not the one making the payment but the insurance company is, shouldn't that release me of the responsibility and remove the collection off my credit report? 

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Insurance company makes Medical payment, does it reage account? Also DOFD help.

If the medical debt was subsequently paid by insurance, then your situation falls within the recent consent decree reached between the CRAs and the NYS Office of the AG, where the CRAs agreed to delete derogs reported on medical debt that was subsequently paid by an insuror.

While the consent decree was between the CRAs and the NYS Office of the AG, it affects all consumers nationwide.

Message 2 of 7
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Insurance company makes Medical payment, does it reage account? Also DOFD help.

Thanks for the info! I googled it and I read a couple articles about it. Sadly, there were no specific details about it. The articles said that changes will take a few months to a couple years to implement and they didn't specify which ones. I couldn't find any more information on the Internet about it.

So, as of right now, I am still curious as of TODAY, If the insurance company pays the bill 6 years later, will it reage the account? Is a payment a payment? Or differ from where the payment came from?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing re-ages an account.

Message 4 of 7
JMCB
Regular Contributor

So if I can get the insurance company to pay the bill, how long will it stay on my credit report or do you think it will be removed?

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the  insuror pays the bills, send documentation of that fact to the CRA.

Each of the big-3 CRAs have consented to remove medically-related collections if paid by the insuror.

It is not an issue of a third-party legal obligation that needs any interpretation by the CRA.  The CRAs are the parties who directly entered into the consent decree, so they are fully aware of their obligation.

Message 6 of 7
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Okay! Thats the answer I need. Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.