cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance didn't pay bill, issue "resolved" and THEN bill was sent to collections

tag
ajdet
New Visitor

Insurance didn't pay bill, issue "resolved" and THEN bill was sent to collections

Looking for some advice on how to proceed with this. I went to a "preferred" urgent care facility (actually run by the time umbrella company as my insurance) and paid my copay. Per my insurance, for urgent care all I'm responsible for is the copay so I assumed all was fine. 3 months later, I get a bill from "physician services" saying that I have a remaining balance. Called insurance, they said it was their fault because the bill wasn't processed properly through their system. They supposedly corrected the issue (this was 2 months ago). Today, I received both a letter from a collection agency seeking to collect the $30 that the insurance had supposedly taken care of as well as ANOTHER bill, this time for $8.50 for the SAME VISIT!!!!

First thing Monday morning I'll be calling insurance to handle things from their end. Obviously I need to get proof that the amount that was sent to collections was handled by insurance to send with a C&D notice to the collections agency. Then the new bill is a separate issue.

Here's my question - what all (if anything) should I send to the actual reporting agencies? Do I let the collection company withdraw the collections notices on my credit report or should I send whatever I get from the insurance myself instead of waiting on the collection agency? How long to wait for it to come off of my credit report? Do I have any recourse as far as contacting regulatory agencies about this kind of thing? I've had this insurance for 8 years, and every single time I go to THEIR urgent care center, this has happened.....at least a dozen times. I think it's BS that this was sent to collections over something that my insurance owed AFTER I paid my responibility.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice out there!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Insurance didn't pay bill, issue "resolved" and THEN bill was sent to collections

@ajdet wrote:

Looking for some advice on how to proceed with this. I went to a "preferred" urgent care facility (actually run by the time umbrella company as my insurance) and paid my copay. Per my insurance, for urgent care all I'm responsible for is the copay so I assumed all was fine. 3 months later, I get a bill from "physician services" saying that I have a remaining balance. Called insurance, they said it was their fault because the bill wasn't processed properly through their system. They supposedly corrected the issue (this was 2 months ago). Today, I received both a letter from a collection agency seeking to collect the $30 that the insurance had supposedly taken care of as well as ANOTHER bill, this time for $8.50 for the SAME VISIT!!!!

First thing Monday morning I'll be calling insurance to handle things from their end. Obviously I need to get proof that the amount that was sent to collections was handled by insurance to send with a C&D notice to the collections agency. Then the new bill is a separate issue.

Here's my question - what all (if anything) should I send to the actual reporting agencies? Do I let the collection company withdraw the collections notices on my credit report or should I send whatever I get from the insurance myself instead of waiting on the collection agency? How long to wait for it to come off of my credit report? Do I have any recourse as far as contacting regulatory agencies about this kind of thing? I've had this insurance for 8 years, and every single time I go to THEIR urgent care center, this has happened.....at least a dozen times. I think it's BS that this was sent to collections over something that my insurance owed AFTER I paid my responibility.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice out there!

Have you actually pulled your credit files to see if you've been dinged?
Go to www.annualcreditreport.com for copies of all three files.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.