cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intercepted Tax Refund to State + Coast Professional Collection?

tag
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

Intercepted Tax Refund to State + Coast Professional Collection?

Morning all!

Can you guys help me decipher something? A charge off recently popped up on my credit report from ACS/University for a school I went to back in 2005. The charge off amount is $1045 and is reporting with balance as the same. I filed my taxes back in February and my $642 refund was intercepted and paid to "UC Office of the President" which means it's for that particular item, I'm positive (I have no other UC charges, at least that I'm aware of).

On the same token, I just received a collection notice from Coast Professional for account re: UC with a principal balance of $1045 and collection & misc fees, for a total of $1359.

My question is: does it sound like the state paid $642 toward the OC ("US Office of the President"), yet the full debt was also sold to a collection agency ("Coast Professional")?

If so, how do I handle this situation? Before I got this collection notice, I was thinking since $642 was already "paid" for the $1045 balance, I was just going to call the office of the president, and ask to pay the remaining ~$400 balance for a delete. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Intercepted Tax Refund to State + Coast Professional Collection?

For one if the debt was from 2005 it shouldn't even be on your credit report.  I would definitely call and find out where my payment went.   

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trnl2016 wrote:

Morning all!

Can you guys help me decipher something? A charge off recently popped up on my credit report from ACS/University for a school I went to back in 2005. The charge off amount is $1045 and is reporting with balance as the same. I filed my taxes back in February and my $642 refund was intercepted and paid to "UC Office of the President" which means it's for that particular item, I'm positive (I have no other UC charges, at least that I'm aware of).

On the same token, I just received a collection notice from Coast Professional for account re: UC with a principal balance of $1045 and collection & misc fees, for a total of $1359.

My question is: does it sound like the state paid $642 toward the OC ("US Office of the President"), yet the full debt was also sold to a collection agency ("Coast Professional")?

If so, how do I handle this situation? Before I got this collection notice, I was thinking since $642 was already "paid" for the $1045 balance, I was just going to call the office of the president, and ask to pay the remaining ~$400 balance for a delete. Thoughts?

Just because a collector reports does not mean the debt was sold. Creditors often "hire" collectors to do the dirty work. It may take a month or two for the intercepted return to get credited and updated on your reports. In the meantime, you can call them and try to make a deal for the remaining balance (and to make sure they have credited the $642 they snatched).

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For one if the debt was from 2005 it shouldn't even be on your credit report.  I would definitely call and find out where my payment went.   

School debt in many cases, can report beyond the 7.5 year limit.

Message 4 of 8
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, so this is the dumb part... it shows the DOFD as being in 2013. I haven't attended the school since 2005 but I'm assuming it was under some sort of deferment. To be honest, I don't even believe it's for a loan, as all of my loans are current. I suspect it might be for a class that I didn't drop in time, but I can't quite recall that either.

Who do you guys think I should call? Coast Professional or the UC Office of the President? I'm leaning toward the UCOP because that's where my intercepted funds went...

Message 5 of 8
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

The other REALLY sucky part is that I suspect my DOFD is going to be pushed back to Feb 2016 because of this "payment". Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trnl2016 wrote:

The other REALLY sucky part is that I suspect my DOFD is going to be pushed back to Feb 2016 because of this "payment". Smiley Frustrated

Payments do not change the DoFD.

Message 7 of 8
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@trnl2016 wrote:

Payments do not change the DoFD.

Oh really?? I totally thought they did! Well, that's a relief.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.