Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest on a judgement

tag
Sxott
Established Member

Interest on a judgement

There is a judgement against me I didn't know about granted in 2009. I'm wondering if they can charge me interest back that far? It was for an old car loan. Anybody know anything about that? I'm in wa state. Thank you.

Starting Score: 606
Current Score: 607
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

Re: Interest on a judgement

Yes, depending on the state interest can be tacked onto judgements, starting from the date the judgement was filed.

Here in IL, I believe the rate is 9%.   I have no idea what Washington's rate is, try googling it and you should be able to find out.

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In WA state there are different rates.

For a written contract it can be as high as 25% if stated in the original contract.  It also has to be specified in the judgment.

All others are 12%.

Message 3 of 6
Sxott
Established Member

Can they wait 5 years after a judgement to come after you ? I didn't even know about it until now. You think I would have seen a wage garnishment long ago?

Starting Score: 606
Current Score: 607
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Sxott wrote:
Can they wait 5 years after a judgement to come after you ? I didn't even know about it until now. You think I would have seen a wage garnishment long ago?

Yes, judgments are usually good for 10 years and can be renewed every 10, you need to look up the statues in WA on judgments. They can come at any time not only with garnishment but levy all monies in bank accounts as well, you wont even know the money is gone as the letter usually doesnt come till after they have levied. I would be making arrangements to satisfy it in some manner.

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In WA, you have to be notified they are garnishing your wages before it happens.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.