Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting CA tactic..

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Interesting CA tactic..

Hey all!

So; I have an interesting thing that just occured. Was wondering what the legality of it is.. 

As a rebuilder, I clearly have a few older zombie accounts floating around that I have either forgotten about or ignored when doing my rebuilding, fully understanding it could come back at anytime. Usually, I guage my finances at the time, and if I can I will pay.

Sooooooo this CA has been calling my phone, ACS.. They left a VM on my phone saying "We have an urgent message FOR Jennfier,  Please call us at 866-xxx-xxxx to discuss your options, you still have time to handle this account" -- now, the person who had my cell number before me has had some collection and debt issue, so I often will call back the number just to ask them to remove my number, as I am not the person. However, that person was not named Jennifer. So; I felt a little suspicious, but I called anyway

So I call in, and ask to remove my number. They proceed to tell me that my number is tied to an acconut owned by me, and asked if I was me (by full name of course). I refused to respond and hung up. 

This seems like blatant misrepresentation right? Did they violate anything? My suspicions are there is no Jennifer, they just said that thinking I would call in to tell them they have the wrong person and they would corner me.

Is this unethical but legal? 

-scott

edited to correct syntax

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cookiebird
Frequent Contributor

Re: Interesting CA tactic..

Did they say the message was from Jennifer or for Jennifer?

last app 11/13/2013 gardening for at least a year
Message 2 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@cookiebird wrote:

Did they say the message was from Jennifer or for Jennifer?

FOR

sorry, I edited the text Smiley Happy thanks for the headsup

-scott

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You are getting VM for Jennifer and when you call the debt is all of a sudden yours?

Seems it could be a violation.

(10) The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.

Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

You are getting VM for Jennifer and when you call the debt is all of a sudden yours?

Seems it could be a violation.

(10) The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.

That is exactly what happened. Well, they didn't say that Jennifers debt was mine, I called to have my number removed from their database but they have an account on me...

I supppppppppose someone named Jennifer once had my cell, and owes money to a collection company that I also owe money to, but that seems like a big time stretch to me...

-scott

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.