cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting to those seeking settlement with Cap 1?

tag
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting to those seeking settlement with Cap 1?

Wonderin--do you remember where you found this info?  I have a CapOne CO from 2004.  The DOLA is sometime in 2003.  They keep adding about $50-60 a month to my balance, so I owe more than double what my actual balance was when it was CO'd.  I have been debating over and over if I should just hope I slip through the cracks at SOL time, but it sounds like CapOne doesn't typically let many people slip through.  I can't take the chance of a judgement since I will buying a house soon, so my only hope may be a settlement. 

However, I don't want to wake the sleeping the giant to request a settlement if they won't accept anything I can afford anyway.

Is there anyone out there that has made a settlement with CapOne?  If so, I would love to hear how it worked out.
Message 11 of 20
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Last year, my sister had a Cap One card that had gone into default when her husband died unexpectedly. The debt was nearing SOL, and she hadn't heard a word from Cap One. The original balance was about $700, but it was up over $3500 with penalties and interest. Just before SOL ran out, they slapped her with a notice that they were going for a judgment.  She didn't have the money to pay it, but she decided to go to court and ask the judge if she could make arrangements for a small monthly payment, and also wanted to ask how a $700 bill had turned into a $3500 bill, plus another $2000 they were threatening to add for court costs. The local lawyer representing Cap One asked for a continuance because Cap One hadn't sent him any info on the case at all--they apparently assumed that the debtors wouldn't show up in court, so the judge would just automatically grant the judgment.

Sis started to cry because she was afraid, and also because the continuance meant she'd have to lose another day of work. Cap One's lawyer came over to her, and she explained how she was suddenly widowed and broke. He apparently felt sorry for her, because he proceeded to tell her that Cap One always went to court for judgments before SOL, but that they almost never provided the local lawyers with proper documentation in case a debtor actually showed up and asked for proof. He suggested she show up for the next court date, and told her that if his client didn't send all the proper paperwork and a representative, the judge would dismiss the case. That's exactly what happened! The suit was dismissed, and the SOL expired.

She said while she sat in court, 80% of the cases were Cap One, and most of the debtors didn't show up and were slapped with judgments. Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 20
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Birdwriter--may I ask what state this occurred in?

Message 13 of 20
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

Birdwriter wrote:
The original balance was about $700, but it was up over $3500 with penalties and interest

I have a somewhat similar story.

My Origional balance with Cap1 was $317
it is now on EX 2458
and on TU 4961
not even showing up on EQ

Wonder why there is a diffrent amount list on each CRA

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 14 of 20
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

hoping2rebuild wrote:

Birdwriter wrote:
The original balance was about $700, but it was up over $3500 with penalties and interest

I have a somewhat similar story.

My Origional balance with Cap1 was $317
it is now on EX 2458
and on TU 4961
not even showing up on EQ

Wonder why there is a diffrent amount list on each CRA

That's odd. My CrapOne is shown with an almost identical balance with all 3 CRA's.  Is the "date last reported" the same on each of yours?

FYI...I am up to about $5500 on a card that originally had a $2000 CL and I never went over the limit when the card was active.
Message 15 of 20
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

valley_man0505 wrote:
That's odd. My CrapOne is shown with an almost identical balance with all 3 CRA's.  Is the "date last reported" the same on each of yours?

FYI...I am up to about $5500 on a card that originally had a $2000 CL and I never went over the limit when the card was active.

Everything is the exact same on mine except the balance!

I started with a 550.00 CL and never charged over 400 on it and you see
how much they jacked up the intrest and penalties on my CO

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 16 of 20
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

Me too! My CL was $2000 and now the balance is $3600. It was around $1700 when I defaulted 2 years ago. The other creditors have been gracious enough to stop adding penalties.

I want to try to settle early next year because this card is killing my UTL, but I also dont' want to wake the giant or reset the DOLA. What to do....?
Message 17 of 20
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

hoping2rebuild wrote:

valley_man0505 wrote:

Everything is the exact same on mine except the balance!

I started with a 550.00 CL and never charged over 400 on it and you see
how much they jacked up the intrest and penalties on my CO

Like I said, everything is the same on mine for all three bureaus including the balance.  The strange thing, though, is that TU is counting the balance towards my utility which is putting me at something like 130% utility.  EQ, on the other hand, has all the same information, but IS NOT counting the balance toward my utility.  I don't know what EX is doing since they don't show the UTL value on the MyFico report, but I don't think they are counting it towards my UTL.  Paying this off should have a pretty good effect on my TU score since it would lower my UTL, but I don't know what it would do to my other scores.
Message 18 of 20
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Illinois. Not sure if this is standard procedure in other states, but since my sister asked the judge for proof of the debt (extra charges, she wasn't disputing the original $700) and Cap One couldn't provide it, the judge dismissed the entire suit. She even told the judge she knew she owed $700, but didn't understand how it had grown to be such a large amount. (She had moved, and never got any statements for several years.) I'm guessing the judge had the right to assess a judgment for the $700, but sis said the judge seemed annoyed by Cap One adding on all sorts of huge fees and not providing documentation. He said something to the effect that they had blown it, and she didn't have to pay them anything. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone been able to get a PIF using this chart?
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.