Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpreted as a dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interpreted as a dispute?

I sent a GW to BofA for a 30-day late. I was clear in that I was not disputing it, I was just asking for a goodwill deletion. This was the response I got:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the above referenced account.

During our investigation, we found that there was no payment record error(s) made. As a result, the delinquency that appears on your credit file is valid. It is our policy not to alter the information reported to the consumer-reporting agencies unless the information was reported erroneously. As a result, we are unable to remove the delinuency from your credit file.

At this time, we consider your inquiry resolved. To obtain a copy of your credit report, please contact the consumer-reporting agencies at:

[List of TU, EX, EX addresses and something claled Innovis.

My question is: Is this a standard response? Did they interpret my letter as a dispute? How do I know (doesn't that hurt your CR?)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interpreted as a dispute?

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent a GW to BofA for a 30-day late. I was clear in that I was not disputing it, I was just asking for a goodwill deletion. This was the response I got:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the above referenced account.

During our investigation, we found that there was no payment record error(s) made. As a result, the delinquency that appears on your credit file is valid. It is our policy not to alter the information reported to the consumer-reporting agencies unless the information was reported erroneously. As a result, we are unable to remove the delinuency from your credit file.

At this time, we consider your inquiry resolved. To obtain a copy of your credit report, please contact the consumer-reporting agencies at:

[List of TU, EX, EX addresses and something claled Innovis.

My question is: Is this a standard response? Did they interpret my letter as a dispute? How do I know (doesn't that hurt your CR?)

All they did was say that the 30 day late was correct and that they would not delete it. That doesn't mean you can't keep writing more GW's in the future.

How old is that late?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

IT's from August 2006. The account is now closed, too. But I have a different and open BofA card still that I've had since 2000 without a single late. I tried to point out my overall good payment history, but no dice.

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

IT's from August 2006. The account is now closed, too. But I have a different and open BofA card still that I've had since 2000 without a single late. I tried to point out my overall good payment history, but no dice.

I completely understand about wanting all negatives removed but a single 30 day late from 5 years ago is having very little impact on your score at this point.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, I wish it was just one.  I have some others with other cards.  Four in total, all from 2007 and earlier. I figured I'd try for all of them and see if any could get deleted .

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ha, I wish it was just one.  I have some others with other cards.  Four in total, all from 2007 and earlier. I figured I'd try for all of them and see if any could get deleted .

Well that does make some difference because scoring looks at how many negatives are reporting as well as how old they are and how severe.

All of them 30 days late? If so the impact is still quickly fading. But no harm in staying at the GW attempts.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.