Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro and CC statement question

tag
Ms_Pooka
Established Member

Intro and CC statement question

Hello all! I have been lurking around the boards for a few weeks and gaining alot of knowledge! My question is about when to pay my CC  so that it does not report a balance to the credit bureau. I have read that you need to pay before the statement "cut date"? Is this the same date that the statement is posted? Or another date before that? Thanks for any advice!

Starting Myfico Scores: 6/16
EX 544
EQ 548
TU 577

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cp94550
Regular Contributor

Re: Intro and CC statement question

For me my 1 of my CC's is due by the 25th but it doesn't report to credit bureau until the 2nd. For another its due on the 1st and then reports on the 8th.

What I did was just waited a few weeks to check for a pattern. Now I know I have to PIF by due date, then PIF again before the report date.

Starting Score: EX: 560 on 11/1/11
Current Score: EX: 651 on 1/31/16
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
cldavis04
Valued Member

I have found that my due date is about two to three days before my new statement cut date.  As long as I pay off my balance the day before my statement date, it will show a zero balance when it reports to the credit bureaus.  Even if I can't payoff the card until the day before the statement date, I make sure to pay the minimum payment by the due date to avoid any extra fees.  With my experience, the credit cards report the last statement balance to the credit bureaus.  I assume that it will vary based on which card(s) you have. 

I hope that this is helpful to you.

Starting Score: 624
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Ms_Pooka
Established Member

Thanks to you both, I just looked at it it seems liek my due date is the 15th and statement date is the 18th, So I'll PIF on the 15th.

Starting Myfico Scores: 6/16
EX 544
EQ 548
TU 577

Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to everyone. CCs typically report the balance oyu had on the statement date and will often report that 2-3-4 days following the statement date. YMMV on the CC of course. So, if you want $0 to report, make sure it says $0 before the statement date. Sometimes you might need to push an extra payment through your bank's billpay service. Some CCs will add interest that had been accrued prior to the statement date and will only show that on the statement date when it's too late to get your CC to $0. YMMV on the CC of course. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.