Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Myself. Guidance Welcome

tag
Dhani76
New Contributor

Introducing Myself. Guidance Welcome

Hello to all. Posted my starting & current scores on signature. I have 2 retail cards (Walmart & Amazon store card) with $700-$800 CLs and 3 credit cards through Capital & Credit One ($300, $500 and $700 the last increased twice from $300 original limit). All payments 100% on time and credit utilizion hovering in the 30% range (working on getting it down).Refraining from inquiries but slipped up last month trying to get an Old Navy card (declined. thought i might be approved as Walmart, Amazon & Old Navy are all Synchrony). Anyone have any advice on where to go from here? Also what might be a reasonable goal to set for myself by the new year? Any advice greatly appreciated Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: TU 685 EQ 687 EXP 699
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Introducing Myself. Guidance Welcome

If you don't have any installment loans reporting, do the Alliant SSL trick -- costs you only $44 total over a few weeks.  Do this only if you have NO active open installment loans reporting.

Do you have any derogatories on your credit reports?

Message 2 of 7
Dhani76
New Contributor

Failed to mention i have $7000 remaining on a car loan. Never late. And, yes, there are some derogatories. Have been using Lexington Law & surprised with positive results. Had a lot of removals. Some still pending. Inquiry counts are 8, 2 and 2 I believe for all 3 bureaus.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an auto loan active and open then the Alliant SSL won't help your FICO score.

Right now your best bet is to continue to beat down any derogatories as best as you can, and let your cards age.  When your AAoA gets to 6 and 12 months your score will go up.

Do you have any particular goals for credit in the next 2 years?

Message 4 of 7
Dhani76
New Contributor

No particular goals other than bringing my score up so I have a leg to stand on when I have established a goal or an emergency hits. Tired of feeling powerless, credit-wise. Thanks for your input. I figured at this point all I can really do is tend the garden, as you have said. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you bring your utilization down below 30%, you should cross another threshold and possibly see a score increase.  You're pretty close on your Ex score to qualify for Amex.  Have you tried their prequal page?  If you can switch out the Credit One card, you'll be ready to garden!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 7
Dhani76
New Contributor

APPROVED!!! Thank You!!!! Now I AM ready to garden! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.