Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introduction and I need a mentor/help with establishing credit again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Introduction and I need a mentor/help with establishing credit again

Hello everyone!  My name is George and I am needing help/mentor with building my credit back up to the 720-740 mark. I have neglected my credit for over 8 years as we decided to live a debt free lifestyle. I have learned that there is almost more stress living the debt free lifestyle than there was living with credit. I choose to live the lifestyle of being debt free, but that lifestyle will hinder your ability to purchase a house. That is exactly what I am looking to do. We (my wife and I) usually pay cash for everything and we have no problem continuing doing so for the rest of our lives. We do not have any credit cards, store credit, revolving credit, loans or car payments. I do have an understanding on how credit works and what it takes to have great credit. I know that it is healthy credit wise to have a couple of revolving credit accounts open as well as a loan all in great standing. I am willing to do this again so that we may be able to qualify to purchase a house. 

I have neglected my credit (not opening and using credit) for over 8 years and I know that it will take some time to rebuild my credit to achieve my goals. My credit goal/challenge is to have a 730-740 score. My theory is I wanted to open up two revolving accounts (Snap On for a tool box and Big Box store for appliances) and one loan (Used car with a 12 month payment and 50% down). I normally would just pay this off in cash, but I think this would be a great opportunity to establish a healthy credit history again. I obtained my credit report yesterday and I am troubled to say the least. I knew because of my neglect that there were going to be issues and problems, but I didn't expect to see the marks that I had. They are legitimate marks and they are my fault. I moved from state to state twice and I did not take care of the cable and electricity like I should have. Lesson learned and I will pay that off now. That was my fault and I will correct that. My score was low as expected. My current credit score is 519. I know that correcting the faults that I made will lift that score up some, but not to where I need and want to be. 

Please do not judge me on what I am about to say. I know that the absolute fastest way to build credit would be to open a couple of credit card accounts and to keep them in good standing with low balances/paid balances, but I am not interested in opening up any credit card accounts. I would rather be patient and build over a longer period of time than to have credit cards. If I absolutely have no choice what so ever, then fine, but if I don't have to then I don't want to. 

I am not looking to have this credit score to be able to buy stuff or to obtain as much as I can. I don't believe in that. I believe if you have the cash to pay for it, then you buy it only when you have the cash to do so. I know that these days it is impossible for the average joe (me) to pay cash for a house that you would want to live in. The reason that I want to buy a house instead of renting is so that I can have a house (paid for) for my kids when I pass away. I am not deceived in thinking that financing a house would be cheaper because it's not. After the escrow, taxes and insurance the payment will likely be more than renting. I am not looking to lower my monthly housing expense or invest in any real estate. I just want to purchase a nice house and pay it off. 

I need help in what I am trying to do. Can I open up a revolving credit account and pay it off in 6 months (what I would like to do) or do I need to let the principle mature until the account is paid for in duration? Is 6 months long enough to positively effect your credit score or does it need to be longer? Do I need to open more or subtract accounts to acheive my goals? I know this will not be an overnight correction and I know that this will need a lot of work to reach my goals. This is where I need help. I understand credit and the reasons for it. I understand how to be responsible with credit. I understand that it takes time to establish credit and a great credit score. I just am not sure how to go about it in a mture responsible way. How long do you expect for me to be able to reach my goals?

It is a pleasure to be a part in this and I thank you guys so much for your help. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Introduction and I need a mentor/help with establishing credit again

Welcome to the board.

I understand where you are coming from - being debt free - but being debt free and using credit can be done together. 

First - the best thing you can do with old utility collections is contact the utility directly and ask if you pay in full (PIF) if they will recall from the collection agency and/or remove from your credit reports.   Usually a utility will....

Second - the car loan is a great idea.  Yes it will help you with the credit mix.  Even if you pay it off early it will report as a positive closed trade line for several years. You usually take a small ding on your score when you immediately pay it off because it is not longer a current trade line -but the positive payment history and age of account will help you.

Third - a couple of revolving accounts - or store credit cards (Lowe's/Sears/Home Depot) for your appliances can be a great thing.   Use the cards for your purchases and pay them off before the statement cuts.  If you let one report a small balance (less than 10%) and then pay that off as soon as you get your statement - you will never pay interest - and get the most score bang for your buck - which is important for your mortgage.   You're wife should do the same - especially if you will be applying for that mortgage together.   

Last - a credit card - I know you don't want to get one - and you don't HAVE to - but you might think about one with a cash back reward.  You can use it to pay for things you would anyway - I use mine to pay my electric/water/cell phone/and internet bills.   I get some cash back each month that I just apply as a statement credit.   AND I have the cards in case of emergencies.   I have found it is easier to made reservations, etc. with an actual credit card rather than my debit card and then the funds aren't tied up until I actually want them to be.  (car rental is the worst!)   Rule is - I have to pay it off as I use it - and I do - I pay each card off prior to statement date - with the exception of my AMEX - which has my highest limit - and I let it report a small usage to the bureau.  As soon as the statement cuts - I pay it off too.

Hopefully those ideas will help you.   I too am trying to buy a home soon - so I am doing whatever steps necessary to do so - I'll probably close a couple of my cards after we get into a house - just to keep the temptation away - but for now - a couple in the sock drawer at home and a couple to pay normal bills off (with the cash back bonus) is pretty ok with me.      

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the response. 

I agree with what you are saying and I have several questions about credit cards. I know that this is probably going to be a timing game as far as paying the balance off before the statement hits, but when do you know exactly when to do this? Is it ok to wait until the statement gets to me and then pay it off? 

What I thought about doing is, going to my credit union that I've been a member of for over 20 years and apply for a secured credit card. I thought I could use this secured credit card until my score elevates to a level where I can obtain a unsecured credit card via my credit union and use that as one of my revolving credit accounts. That would be the one that I would be interested in keeping a very low balance on (possibly 10% or less) to keep in the account in a active good standing. 

I've already got the Snap On account in the process of starting (whew that's an interest rate that sucks) and I figured that account on top of the secured credit card would be a great start until my credit starts to elevate in time. I'm projecting a 6-8 month history before I go ahead and pay it all off and apply for a unsecured credit card. If the scores are not quite there, then I will keep paying on the two accounts until the scores reach a level of satisfaction with the credit union. I didn't want to open too many new accounts so close together. After that, I was going to apply for a big box store card (sears more than likely) and purchase appliances (range and refrigerator) and repeat that process until my scores elevate to a satifactory level to apply for a car loan. 

Is this a good plan or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call any of your credit cards and they will tell you the statement cut off date - it's usually a couple of days after the due date.     If your payment is due on November 2, the statement will cut about the 6th (that is my Discover card).   You can pay it when you get the bill - if you pay in full you will never pay interest.  However if you use the card a lot and/or have a low credit line (mine is $500 on that card) and you only want a balance of less than 10% to report (so that would b e $50 in my case) I have to pay it down before the statement cuts. Otherwise just my electric bill alone would be almost 25% of my credit line.

I usually pay it off on or about the 1st of the month and let $20 report - and then I don't use the card again until the statement pulls.   It isn't as complicated as it sounds.   Also - If you use more than one card - don't try to rotate the balance - you'll just confuse yourself and end up with two reporting.   Pay everything else off in full (I typically go online on Fridays and pay off most balances and then again on paydays or at statement cut off if I didn't get something done earlier in the month).  

As with any card - just pay it off before the due dates - no matter the balance and you won't pay interest.   My son uses his card a couple times a month for gas - then just pays in full when he gets the statement so he doesn't have to worry about the timing.   The timing of the 10% on one card is really only important if you are trying to boost your score at a specific time since utility has no history - it is what it is when you pull the report.  One month you may loose points for high utility - the next gain them for paying it down - and then go back the other way again.   It usually fluctuates a few points - but if you want the MAX score at time of mortgage app - you will want to do it this way.  

A secured card with your credit union is a great way to get started - many will graduate after so many months of on time payments as well.   Credit unions many times will have a share secure loan -or some type of rebuilder loan.   (search the forums you'll get more info)  but you can take out a loan for like $500 - pay it back at a low payment over a couple of years - but use the $500 to get your secured card.   This way you are opening two tradelines with two different kinds of credit at the same time.    The monthly payments are usually pretty low on the loan - like $15 a month.   Your credit union should be able to explain it too. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As the previous poster said, definately call the utilities and ask for a PFD. Utilities are usually pretty willing to delete for payment.

If I were you I'd do that first and let that hit your CRs before going for the car loan. You will most likely see a pretty decent jump from that.

Also, after that hits, I'd try for a couple of rebuilding cards unsecured (secured if you have to). I know you don't want cards, but as the previous poster mentioned... living debt free doesn't have to mean living credit card free. I actually live debt free, mainly because I was forced to years ago with all my cards being closed on me because I couldn't afford them due to being a small business owner in a troubled economy.

But, I sort of latched on to that lifestyle and now have about $25k in credit line extended... but I pay everything off at the end of the month (except a little bit on one card to show some reporting). I think it's completely possible to live debt free while owning some cards.

When you go to get a mortgage they are going to want to see some tradelines with a positive payment history, so the auto + credit card lines should help your ultimate goal.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!  My name is George and I am needing help/mentor with building my credit back up to the 720-740 mark. I have neglected my credit for over 8 years as we decided to live a debt free lifestyle. I have learned that there is almost more stress living the debt free lifestyle than there was living with credit. I choose to live the lifestyle of being debt free, but that lifestyle will hinder your ability to purchase a house. That is exactly what I am looking to do. We (my wife and I) usually pay cash for everything and we have no problem continuing doing so for the rest of our lives. We do not have any credit cards, store credit, revolving credit, loans or car payments. I do have an understanding on how credit works and what it takes to have great credit. I know that it is healthy credit wise to have a couple of revolving credit accounts open as well as a loan all in great standing. I am willing to do this again so that we may be able to qualify to purchase a house. 

I have neglected my credit (not opening and using credit) for over 8 years and I know that it will take some time to rebuild my credit to achieve my goals. My credit goal/challenge is to have a 730-740 score. My theory is I wanted to open up two revolving accounts (Snap On for a tool box and Big Box store for appliances) and one loan (Used car with a 12 month payment and 50% down). I normally would just pay this off in cash, but I think this would be a great opportunity to establish a healthy credit history again. I obtained my credit report yesterday and I am troubled to say the least. I knew because of my neglect that there were going to be issues and problems, but I didn't expect to see the marks that I had. They are legitimate marks and they are my fault. I moved from state to state twice and I did not take care of the cable and electricity like I should have. Lesson learned and I will pay that off now. That was my fault and I will correct that. My score was low as expected. My current credit score is 519. I know that correcting the faults that I made will lift that score up some, but not to where I need and want to be. 

Please do not judge me on what I am about to say. I know that the absolute fastest way to build credit would be to open a couple of credit card accounts and to keep them in good standing with low balances/paid balances, but I am not interested in opening up any credit card accounts. I would rather be patient and build over a longer period of time than to have credit cards. If I absolutely have no choice what so ever, then fine, but if I don't have to then I don't want to. 

I am not looking to have this credit score to be able to buy stuff or to obtain as much as I can. I don't believe in that. I believe if you have the cash to pay for it, then you buy it only when you have the cash to do so. I know that these days it is impossible for the average joe (me) to pay cash for a house that you would want to live in. The reason that I want to buy a house instead of renting is so that I can have a house (paid for) for my kids when I pass away. I am not deceived in thinking that financing a house would be cheaper because it's not. After the escrow, taxes and insurance the payment will likely be more than renting. I am not looking to lower my monthly housing expense or invest in any real estate. I just want to purchase a nice house and pay it off. 

I need help in what I am trying to do. Can I open up a revolving credit account and pay it off in 6 months (what I would like to do) or do I need to let the principle mature until the account is paid for in duration? Is 6 months long enough to positively effect your credit score or does it need to be longer? Do I need to open more or subtract accounts to acheive my goals? I know this will not be an overnight correction and I know that this will need a lot of work to reach my goals. This is where I need help. I understand credit and the reasons for it. I understand how to be responsible with credit. I understand that it takes time to establish credit and a great credit score. I just am not sure how to go about it in a mture responsible way. How long do you expect for me to be able to reach my goals?

It is a pleasure to be a part in this and I thank you guys so much for your help. 

Again, welcome to the myFico forums!

It is pretty much a necessary evil to have credit cards to establish a credit history to be able to borrow money for a house.

The Fico scoring system looks for at least 3 revolving accounts like CCs and at least 1 installment loan for the scoring elements.

It will seem counter intuitive to you, based on your past habits of using cash only, but you will actually get a decent increase in your scores just by opening a CC account.  And it will work for the first 3 CCs you open.  If you do nothing else but open one CC, you will get a good 15 to 20 points, maybe more, I dont recall exactly.  It doesnt matter if it is secured or unsecured or what the amount is, just that it reports to all 3 Credit Bureaus and it is in good standing. 

I started with scores in the 400s and then got one secured CC for 250.  Then I got a lousy offer in the mail for a predator company (Credit One), but I took it.  I got a good 20 points for opening each CC.  A couple months later, I opened a third CC and more points.  I would conservatively estimate that you would get 40 to 50 points for opening those first 3 accounts.

Later, you can decide if you want to get higher credit limits, but for now, the amounts are not as important as just having them.

One good place to get a secured CC without a credit check is Opensky, and for as little as 200.

Be prepared for serious questions and maybe even a denial from your credit union with your score as a 519.  Also, the rate for an auto loan will be pretty steep.

I would also recommend having an instalment loan open for at least a year to establish a history.

In the end, you will need to conform to the 'rules' of the mortgage lender you use.  I would suggest trying to narrow down the list of possible mortgage lenders and then asking for a prequal meeting so you can find out what they look for.  In general, I think most of them will want a score of about 620 minimum and most will not approve you if you have any open collections.  Many require a 640 score.  

As discussed earlier, if you have a 1k credit line, you can still have a zero or low balance.  Having the CC doesnt force you to be in debt.  You just need to be able to show that you CAN handle the account responsibly.  And getting cash rewards for paying your regular bills is a good deal.

HTH

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, let me make a distinction here - debt and credit are two very different things. Debt is when you owe someone. Credit is the ABILITY to easily incur debt when needed. It is, for lack of a better word, your reputation.

So having said that, the only real way to build your "credit" is to demonstrate that you have previously incurred debt and paid it back on time.

There is basically two types of debt that you can use to build your credit - installment and revolving. You really do need to use both types to build effectively.

Now, since you are very debt-averse (and there is nothing wrong with that at all), I would suggest a very conservative approach. No need to get an auto loan if you don't want to. Also no need for a wallet full of store cards and credit cards. Simply open an account at SDFCU, deposit $500 in savings and then get a share secured loan for $500 at 3.99% for 36 months. Payments will be under $15 a month. Make a $50 payment then set it up to auto pay the rest of the payments from the savings account. Now with the loan proceeds, put that $500 back into the savings, and apply for a share secured VISA card. You've now established an installment loan and a secured credit card. Once these get reported on your credit, you will see a signifigant score bump.

Now for your usage, with your habits, just keep it simple. Use the card for a small (under $50), recurring monthly bill, and pay it off as soon as you get the bill, don't even concern yourself with statement closing dates and such.

It will take about 12-24 months to build up your credit this way. Getting a second and third credit card will speed that up a bit. During that building time you will want to settle those derogatory accounts, and try to get them deleted using PFDs and GW requests.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fastest way to get ur score up is get some credit cards 2-4 even if u can't get unsecured card go get secured one. Try cap 1 for credit card.. After getting cards use it make on time payment for 2 -3 months.. Get car loan.. Don't put 50% down put lowest u can as a down for car loan.. U want a high installment loan amount on ur credit.. Get the loan and the money u going to use as a down. Put that into ur principle the first month. After car loan payment for few months get more credit card so u get to at least 4 and just keep using card and make ur car payment on time ur score will go up.. Yes will take time to get to the 750 u want would say 12-18 months total.. Still wouldn't be a strong 700s but good enough to get a home loan

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.