Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 2 credit cards enough?

tag
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

Is 2 credit cards enough?

The short version is I was denied a home loan by 2 different lenders.  I only had 1 credit card and have no student loans, car loans etc.   My score was about 30 points shy of qualifying.  I have a foreclosure that is set to fall off my report next spring.  (7 years is long enough)   I also had some issues with my credit because of a private student loan I cosigned on that is in default as of 10/2009 .   All those things disqualified me for a loan and since I couldn't prove the loan owner is paying the loan my dti was 46% with the student loan added in.   Long story short I met with a banker through wellsfargo.  We went through my whole credit all 3 to see what was dragging down my score.  Found out it was mostly the foreclosure and student loan.  He suggested I apply for a 2nd credit card since I only had 1.  I applied and was approved right away for a 4k limit.  Im not sure why such a limit but I was excited.   I received a letter in the mail today detailing the transunion report they used.

Serious delinquency

Time Since delinquency is too recent or unknown

Number of accounts with delinquency

No recent revolving balances.

Im really curious what the no recent revolving balances means.  I charge gas on it once a month then I pay it in full.  I have never missed a payment on credit card.

I would like to buy a house by next fall.  Since I will have had the card well over 6 months by then and the foreclosure will have passed the 7 year mark that spring.

Should I apply for a 3rd credit card or is 2 enough?

My transunion score according to this report is 630.   

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Is 2 credit cards enough?

It may take more time than the 7 months to build up your scores but yes 2 cards is enough

Use the 1-9% rule allowing a balance to report and then PIF 

Usually it takes 4-7 month to recover from a new HP and TL reporting and to get both cards reporting change which card reports monthly.

You can also call the lender of the gas card and ask for a mid cycle updated reporting 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.