Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 70% settlement offer good

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is 70% settlement offer good

Hi, For one of credit card accounts, it went into collections. Citi is still owning the debt and reports the bureaus but collection agency is collecting the money. They are offering a setllement offer which is 70% of the amount owed. Since I went into a payment arrangment paying monthly payments, they are not coming down.

Is it worth settling for 70%? I also dont know if i dont take the offer, will they give similar offers in future? If i keep paying every month it will take me a long time to pay off. The balance is hurting my score a lot

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is 70% settlement offer good

You could attempt to sweeten the pot a bit by requesting the debt collector to secure agreement from the crditor that, if you settle, the credtior will update their reporting to paid, with no additional reporting that it was settled for less.  That will make the payment appear the same as if it was paid in full to anyone reviewing your credit report.

I personally would consider any settlement amount better than your current situation.

Since you are under a repayment agreement, then any default on your part will be withini SOL, and they can seek a judgment ordering full repayment.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.