Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chase forgiving?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Chase forgiving?

I use to have a Chase Slate card in 2011 but it has since been "Charged-off." It still reports on my report as unpaid balance and I was wondering if Chase is forgiving if I were to apply for another one of thier CC's now. I have somewhat rebuilt my credit and almost at the point where I should be approved but I dont know if Chase would allow it due to preivous history. Any input would help. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is Chase forgiving?

@Anonymous wrote:

I use to have a Chase Slate card in 2011 but it has since been "Charged-off." It still reports on my report as unpaid balance and I was wondering if Chase is forgiving if I were to apply for another one of thier CC's now. I have somewhat rebuilt my credit and almost at the point where I should be approved but I dont know if Chase would allow it due to preivous history. Any input would help. Thank you in advance.

With Chase it is highly doubful you will receive a new card with an open reporting unpaid CO. I would pay them off first then try.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree pay it off or wait until it falls off your report. I have an unpaid charge off from 2010 with Chase and they denied me starting bad prior history with bank, charged off account. Also even when it falls off credit reports they still might not approved based on past history. Better to pay it off if you can afford to. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Short answer: Chase is not forgiving, many people still can't get back in with them after years of derogs falling off
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a related question about Chase if anyone can change in or give their thoughts.

I over drafted my checking account by $150 with Chase in 2011 and never paid it. My account was closed and I never paid the amount they never sent me any letters asking for the money and it was not reported to Chexsystems or EWS. I called them last year about it and they said my account was too old and they couldn't pull anything up.

Eventually I'd like to app with Chase once I'm in the 700's (hopefully by then they'll have some branches near me there's no branches in the entire state where I'm at Smiley Sad ). Right now I'm an AU on my SO's 2 Chase credit cards which both have flawless history (but high rates).

My question is: Do you think my prior bad history with having a checking account with them will deny me for getting a credit card with them or the two are not interrelated?

Because I have a friend who had $250,000 in his WF checking but had a thin file and only was approved for a 1.5k CL despite his relationship with the bank.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump
Message 6 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a related question about Chase if anyone can change in or give their thoughts.

I over drafted my checking account by $150 with Chase in 2011 and never paid it. My account was closed and I never paid the amount they never sent me any letters asking for the money and it was not reported to Chexsystems or EWS. I called them last year about it and they said my account was too old and they couldn't pull anything up.

Eventually I'd like to app with Chase once I'm in the 700's (hopefully by then they'll have some branches near me there's no branches in the entire state where I'm at Smiley Sad ). Right now I'm an AU on my SO's 2 Chase credit cards which both have flawless history (but high rates).

My question is: Do you think my prior bad history with having a checking account with them will deny me for getting a credit card with them or the two are not interrelated?

Because I have a friend who had $250,000 in his WF checking but had a thin file and only was approved for a 1.5k CL despite his relationship with the bank.

No checking wont stop CC approvals, I bet they would find it if you opened a new deposit account and they would pull the funds.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually when you go to open a checking account with them it will stop it beforehand and you will have to pay it off even if it's a settled amount and then they will allow you to open a checking account. I know from experience. Had a checking account go under and a cc charge off with them. Tried opening checking account and was told I had to pay off balance on bad checking account from 2011 first before I could open another account. As far as credit card who knows if they'll ever let me back in although I'm not that worried about it anymore as I have discover and amex now.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering they have a $300 sign up bonus plus a $50 referral bonus for my SO that's a pretty nice payout for opening a CC.

Message 9 of 11
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No checking wont stop CC approvals, I bet they would find it if you opened a new deposit account and they would pull the funds.

Chase did that to me years ago. I had an overdraft on a closed checking account and a charged off credit card. I opened another Chase checking account as a test and deposited only $50 into the account. It was gone before long; citing right of offset. I just didn't know if the money was applied to the closed checking account or the charged off credit card.

They also tried to be slick and sent me a $40 check claiming some sort of accounting error resulting in overpayment on something. The local check cashing place didn't want to cash it so I just ripped up the check. No way in heck was I depositing it into my Fidelity account only to find the funds in that account frozen/emptied out a week later. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.