Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Credit.com real or a scam?

tag
missionpossible
Valued Member

Is Credit.com real or a scam?

For the past month, I have tried to obtain my report and scores from credit.com.  Always gives me the security questions, always says "I'm sorry you failed the authentication" and I have to wait 3 days to try again.  This went on over and over.  Could not ever get in.  Contacted the customer service email about it, have not heard a peep back.  Today, I answer the questions, when I click submit, get the message, you have been logged out due to inactivity.  This is less than a minute after I sign in and immediately after I try to anser the security questions.  I'm beginning to believe it may be a scam, so they are getting answers to all my security questions, and I never get to use their service, if they even really offer one.  I am the only one this happens to?  I'm starting to get paranoid now.  I use other services, but have found this one recommended here several times and hoped to try it.  Does anyone really get scores and reports from them?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is Credit.com real or a scam?

One of our administrators went over to Credit.com and several of the mods went with him.  It's not a scam so to speak.  Now I wouldn't waste my times with the scores they will give you, they are FAKOs and no creditor out there will use those scores.  I've not dealt much with their services but I don't believe it to be a scam.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@missionpossible wrote:

For the past month, I have tried to obtain my report and scores from credit.com.  Always gives me the security questions, always says "I'm sorry you failed the authentication" and I have to wait 3 days to try again.  This went on over and over.  Could not ever get in.  Contacted the customer service email about it, have not heard a peep back.  Today, I answer the questions, when I click submit, get the message, you have been logged out due to inactivity.  This is less than a minute after I sign in and immediately after I try to anser the security questions.  I'm beginning to believe it may be a scam, so they are getting answers to all my security questions, and I never get to use their service, if they even really offer one.  I am the only one this happens to?  I'm starting to get paranoid now.  I use other services, but have found this one recommended here several times and hoped to try it.  Does anyone really get scores and reports from them?

It isn't a scam; the site is legit, the blog and forums are fine, and the news ect ect is good.

The products they offer are no better or worse than any other site that delivers non-FICO scores.. It's clear you are having a techincal issue with the site, but I don't think you have to worry about your information being compromised or anything like that..

Do you have any fraud alerts or anything on your files?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 8
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

Ditto regarding what the others wrote: I know for a fact that credit.com is NOT a scam.

Regarding the security questions? It's possible you've got some information being culled from public records that are not correct about you. In other words, credit.com is trying to verify that it's you but asking you questions that only you should know the answer to. To do that, they will ask questions like do you know such and such a person, have you ever owned one of these cars, how much was your mortgage payment with so and so, etc. If they get wrong information about you, of course, your're going to answer the questions wrong because you can't possibly know the answer. 

With the time outs, that's a browser/website issue. If you're using Chrome for example, I've seen it happen a lot on certain sites with Chrome. Trying FireFox or IE. If you're using one of the latter, trying using Chrome. Sometimes websites aren't totally compatible with certain browsers and certain website features just don't function properly (like you've been timed out).

But keep in mind, too, you might be getting timed out because you're taking too long to answer the questions. time outs are legitmate security measures on some sites when there is a period of inactivity especially during an application process or security check. So lots of issues for you to ask yourself about.

But you'd be better off getting your credit reports directly from the credit bureaus and getting your FICO scores (TransUnion and Equifax) from myFico.com - myFICO will also let you purchase credit reports too, but I think their format stinks and is not as detailed as what you'll get directly from the credit bureaus. That's just me.

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 4 of 8
MonkeyBelly
Regular Contributor

It sounds like maybe you have your report frozen with EQ. 

Starting myFICOs 2013
TU:664 March --> 726 May 25
EQ: 687 on March 6 --> 772 May 25
USAA EX (FAKO): 701 March 27 --> 768 May 26
Original goal (720+ across the board) achieved!
Message 5 of 8
missionpossible
Valued Member

Well that is good to hear.  I just have never had a problem getting my report from any other service, only this one.  Had me worried that it wasn't real.

Message 6 of 8
missionpossible
Valued Member

No, no fraud alerts, get my reports from many other sources, no problems at all with them, so I can't understand what the issue is with this site, and the fact that their customer service doesn't even respond, well, lets just say I'm giving up on them.  I'll use myfico, and my other services.   I've tried everything, but at this point, its not worth it. 

Message 7 of 8
missionpossible
Valued Member

I know what the security questions are for, the problem is, it ALWAYS tells me it can't verify me.  The timeout is happening immediately after answering the questions, in about 30-45 seconds.  I get that message when I don't get the "we can't authenticate you" message.  I do not have this problem with any other site I use to monitor my credit.  Since its a fako anyway, I'm just going to give up and use the other services.  I was just hoping to get one more source, but apparently that site just doesn't like me, or my info.  I just don't like the fact that I have answered security questions, that the site is collecting, yet keep getting rejected to use the service.  Makes me wary of the site.   I'm just going to move on and use someone else, just feel better that everyone here can confirm its not a scam, I was getting worried. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.