Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This Legal?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is This Legal?

If one makes what is ultimately shown to have been spurious or unsupported claims of indebetness, they risk the wrath of the court, and can be found responsible for damages resutling from that activity, such as damage to your credit, and punitive damages.  That is the check against such activity. 

Message 11 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is This Legal?

@RobertEG wrote:

As you point out, there are numerous legal issues as to your potential responsibilty for utility company property that is on your property.

Perhaps not being a customer would be relevant, or perhaps it would not.  The laws of your jurisdiction and the facts of the case require intepretation.

I dont see how the FTC would have jurisdiction to resolve those legal issues based on the fact that they reported the alleged debt to a consumer reporting agency.

In my opinion, you have a legal issue that requires a decision by a court.

I dont see any "illegality" by their asserting your responsibilty.  It's a civil matter that you can bring before the court for resolution.

If the debt is found not to be legitimate, then the credit reporting would require deletion.

Because it is fraud.  Just because the box is on their property does not make them responsible for whatever happened.  Then to have a collections placed on your CR because the OC said you were responsible just because. 

It is a case of fraud as far as credit reporting.  And I would pursue it as one.

I would also take the OC to court for what they did.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.