cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a 100 point increase in 4-6 months feasible?

tag
Madoffed
Valued Member

Re: Is a 100 point increase in 4-6 months feasible?

It will take longer than you like, but regarding the Student Loans, even if you can pay them off in one fell swoop, go through the "rehabilitation process" if it is available to you.  Click my name and check out some of my posts on the topic.  Suffice it to say, if you pay them off directly from delinquency it remains "paid in full derrogatory" on your reports (i.e. a baddie) and the pain will last for 7 years if you go through rehabilitation, well:

Rehabilitation and Removal of Default

After the borrower has made 9 out of 10 consecutive, voluntary, on-time, reasonable and affordable monthly payments on a defaulted student loan according to a loan rehabilitation agreement, the loan may be rehabilitated and the default removed from the borrower's credit history. On-time is defined as payments within 20 days of the due date for FFEL and Direct Loan program loans and 15 days for Perkins loans.

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@mamatried wrote:
I have an auto loan as well and two revolving accounts. (Cap1 secured $200, US Bank secured $300)

It didn't show in default, my mistake. It showed Closed Transferred, which I don't fully understand

Closed/trasferred typically means they sold it to another lender or trasnferred it to their internal collections.

Message 12 of 24
mamatried
Contributor

But, it's too late now because I paid the Stafford in full? Shoot.

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 13 of 24
Madoffed
Valued Member

Call and beg, play stupid, give them your first born...don't let it slide without trying.  Trust me.  A year from now when you've done all you can to fix your report, you'll be extremely angry to see that derrog sitting there...at that point all you can do is set a reminder for 6 years hence to make sure it drops off.

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 24
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@mamatried wrote:

Current Scores: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554

(3) Collections Paid in Full today 12/23

(3) Collections will be Paid in Full Friday 12/26

(1) Judgement for Portfolio Recovery that I'm clueless on.. having trouble making contact at the courts (calling from out of state to a small town)

(1) US Gov Student Loan (Stafford) in default that seems to be reporting 3x, should be able to pay off in full in about a month

(1) Perkins Student Loan in good standing that is not showing as such, left message to see if they can update reporting

(1) Ally Auto loan (4 months old) in good standing

(1) Secured US Bank Card in good standing (2 years), was showing 107% utilization, paid off to zero balance, will only put one lunch on a month and pay in full

(1) Secured Capital One Card opened today (will receive mid-January)

Multiple inquiries from when I was applying for an auto loan in August and from rental house applications in November. I also made the dumb mistake of trying to apply for financing at Ashley Furniture, Apple and Dell as I was trying to find house cards to build credit and keep cash freed up for paying down old debt. Major idiot move as I didn't get approvals and now I have a lot of inquiries on my history. Crap!

Any advice on directions to go to help get my scores up by Spring in 4-6 months? I just moved to a very urban area and had the damnest time finding a rental even though my rental history / references is pristine due to dummy debt from when I was 18 - 20. I found a nice rental, but the hitch is it's only available 'til July 31 meaning in the Spring I'll have to start the entire process over again. Someday, I'd like to buy a house and right now it's not looking to good. Help! 

I think so, with deletions of collections, rehabbing the Stafford, and correcting the Perkins.  I don't know much about judgments, but I would think a GW letter to the court after payment would be a great start.

Just to give you an idea, I got a chargeoff, collection, and paid lien deleted plus paid off some revolvers and got CLIs.  I saw a 36 point increase with EQ in 37 days.  As of last Sunday (day 41), I went up another 5 points.  That's 41 points in about 6 weeks.  I am expecting a few more points in the next 2 weeks after a couple of paid off CCs report, which will decrease utilization to < 10%.

Good luck to you!!!

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 15 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@securingourfuture wrote:

@mamatried wrote:

Current Scores: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554

(3) Collections Paid in Full today 12/23

(3) Collections will be Paid in Full Friday 12/26

(1) Judgement for Portfolio Recovery that I'm clueless on.. having trouble making contact at the courts (calling from out of state to a small town)

(1) US Gov Student Loan (Stafford) in default that seems to be reporting 3x, should be able to pay off in full in about a month

(1) Perkins Student Loan in good standing that is not showing as such, left message to see if they can update reporting

(1) Ally Auto loan (4 months old) in good standing

(1) Secured US Bank Card in good standing (2 years), was showing 107% utilization, paid off to zero balance, will only put one lunch on a month and pay in full

(1) Secured Capital One Card opened today (will receive mid-January)

Multiple inquiries from when I was applying for an auto loan in August and from rental house applications in November. I also made the dumb mistake of trying to apply for financing at Ashley Furniture, Apple and Dell as I was trying to find house cards to build credit and keep cash freed up for paying down old debt. Major idiot move as I didn't get approvals and now I have a lot of inquiries on my history. Crap!

Any advice on directions to go to help get my scores up by Spring in 4-6 months? I just moved to a very urban area and had the damnest time finding a rental even though my rental history / references is pristine due to dummy debt from when I was 18 - 20. I found a nice rental, but the hitch is it's only available 'til July 31 meaning in the Spring I'll have to start the entire process over again. Someday, I'd like to buy a house and right now it's not looking to good. Help! 

I think so, with deletions of collections, rehabbing the Stafford, and correcting the Perkins.  I don't know much about judgments, but I would think a GW letter to the court after payment would be a great start.

Actually a judgment has to be vacated/dismissed by the judge in order for it to be removed from your CR. A GW letter to the judge is not usually successful as there are strict rules to courtroom decorum and operations.

Just to give you an idea, I got a chargeoff, collection, and paid lien deleted plus paid off some revolvers and got CLIs.  I saw a 36 point increase with EQ in 37 days.  As of last Sunday (day 41), I went up another 5 points.  That's 41 points in about 6 weeks.  I am expecting a few more points in the next 2 weeks after a couple of paid off CCs report, which will decrease utilization to < 10%.

Good luck to you!!!

Message 16 of 24
mamatried
Contributor

@mamatried wrote:
Update
DEC 2014: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554
APR 2015: EQ-593, TU-603, EX-599
- all old collections paid
- judgement removed
- 2 secured and auto loan reporting
- 1 student loan reporting with 2 missed payments last year
- 1 defaulted student loan paid today

UPDATE! 

12/23/14: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554

4/29/15: EQ-593, TU-603, EX-599
7/27/15: EQ-641, TU-652, EX-620 

+105      +104     +66       in 7 months

Util 18% as I messed up on a statement date, but it should show <9% within the next 30 days or so. All accounts are paid to $0.00 and I'm paying off balances as soon as charges are posting. 

3 paid, closed collections (was able to get a paid collection removed and judgement "disappeared")

1 late payment from 2 years ago

CP1 QS $1,000

Chase Freedom $500

CP1 Plat $200→$500

Citi Best Buy $500

US Bank HD $300

Gap $300

Kohl's $300

Macy's $100→$300

JCrew $250

VS $250

@Anonymous Auto $13K @Anonymous%

@Anonymous $700 @5%

MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mamatried wrote:

@mamatried wrote:
Update
DEC 2014: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554
APR 2015: EQ-593, TU-603, EX-599
- all old collections paid
- judgement removed
- 2 secured and auto loan reporting
- 1 student loan reporting with 2 missed payments last year
- 1 defaulted student loan paid today

UPDATE! 

12/23/14: EQ-536, TU-548, EX-554

4/29/15: EQ-593, TU-603, EX-599
7/27/15: EQ-641, TU-652, EX-620 

+105      +104     +66       in 7 months

Util 18% as I messed up on a statement date, but it should show <9% within the next 30 days or so. All accounts are paid to $0.00 and I'm paying off balances as soon as charges are posting. 

3 paid, closed collections (was able to get a paid collection removed and judgement "disappeared")

1 late payment from 2 years ago

CP1 QS $1,000

Chase Freedom $500

CP1 Plat $200→$500

Citi Best Buy $500

US Bank HD $300

Gap $300

Kohl's $300

Macy's $100→$300

JCrew $250

VS $250

@Anonymous Auto $13K @Anonymous%

@Anonymous $700 @5%

Awesome progress! You may want to consider one account carrying a small balance. Others have had better luck with their scores doing that. You are doing an incredible job!

Message 18 of 24
mamatried
Contributor

Thanks! What % do you think is good to let report on one card? I've read where some say 1% and others say 9% and some say as much as 30%... 

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Between 1 and 9% ideally. I try to keep mine close to 1, but you're giving up some points if you let it get closer to 20 or 30.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.