cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is account "status" on a CR something you can dispute?

tag
mid83
Established Member

Is account "status" on a CR something you can dispute?

I've been reviewing my CR's with all the information I've been learning tonight. One thing I noticed is that the big bad issue I have on my CR more than anything are my student issues. I have 90+ day lates on my loans that were split into about 8 different disbursements before they were transferred from ACS (Direct Loan) to Great Lakes earlier this year. 

I've since got things current with Great Lakes, so my status with Great Lakes, which includes the entire balance my loan, is "pays account as agreed". The old closed accounts from ACS all say "Past 90 days due", despite having a $0 balance. Is this something I can dispute, since past 90 days due wouldn't accurate for those now that I'm current on my student loans with Great Lakes. Yes, I know the late payments are there to stay, but would a dispute to update the status be something I should look at doing and would it help my scores at all? I'm worried I'll never be able to get these old late payments removed via GW since ACS no longer services student loans and I doubt Great Lakes will touch those accounts, so I'm looking for anythign I can do to try to at least lessen the damage I'll suffer over the next 7 years.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is account "status" on a CR something you can dispute?

Accounts actually have numerous status codes.

The accuracy dependis upon the type of status code being referenced.

Current status is simply a snapshot of the status of the account as of its last reporting.  It reflects no histoixal, prior status of the account.

When an account is brougnt back into paid as agreed current status, its status prior to that current status is retained in a code called the Payment Rating.

Your CR can thus show  paid as agreed as current status, and yet still report a prior level of delinquency status.

It depnds on the status code being referenced.

You can dispute the accuracy of any information in your credit report.

Message 2 of 5
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

Re: Is account "status" on a CR something you can dispute?

I have a dispute in progress from a status of: 120+ days late, on and old loan discharged through the Dept of ed. I called EVERYWHERE to try to internally get the status changed to reflect "assigned to government", and the loans have been so many places and are so old it was pointless. TU and EQ hadn't heard from the furnisher when I last called so there might be hope that mine will get removed.

You could try to call ACS and see if they'll adjust the status. Or dispute.

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 3 of 5
mid83
Established Member

Re: Is account "status" on a CRY something you can dispute?

The main issue is that I don't think you can even get in contact with ACS anymore. They are no longer servicing any federal student loans as they have all been transferred to other lenders. I believe their call center/customer support was all shut down as well. I've read some threads from the past month where people were told they have to speak directly with the credit bureaus. I guess based on that a dispute is really my only course of action then.

Message 4 of 5
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

Re: Is account "status" on a CRY something you can dispute?

I would dispute then also. Hopefully it will just disappear for you  :-D

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.