cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is goodwill letters a thing of the past?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is goodwill letters a thing of the past?!

Hey... 

I'm new to myfico and I'm trying to rebuild my credit... I noticed no recent posts when it comes to sending out goodwill letters, is this still a practice people use to help rebuild scores or is this a practice that no longer exsist? 

I have a few late pays I would like to clear up to help boost up my score

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is goodwill letters a thing of the past?!

Requests for good-will deletions are not a thing of the past.

The problem is that the CRAs oppose deletions of reporting information based on the consumer having paid the debt.

They incorporate that policy into their credit reporting agreements, and thus credtiors or debt collectors who grant good-will deletions based on the consumer having paid the debt could face termination of their ability to report to CRAs if they are known to violate that agreement.

Make the request and hope for the best.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Requests for good-will deletions are not a thing of the past.

The problem is that the CRAs oppose deletions of reporting information based on the consumer having paid the debt.

They incorporate that policy into their credit reporting agreements, and thus credtiors or debt collectors who grant good-will deletions based on the consumer having paid the debt could face termination of their ability to report to CRAs if they are known to violate that agreement.

Make the request and hope for the best.

Message 3 of 7
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

Here is a helpful thread on goodwill letter technique. It seems that some people run into brick walls and some people are successful. There is no harm in trying.  Good luck!

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the link! def going to try out

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two GW success stories with resolutions in the past week.  Def follow the link to the saturation method. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW letters are certainly not a thing of the past.  I've successfully removed all of the negative information on 3 out of 4 of my "bad" accounts using GW letters and The Saturation Technique.  Going for the clean sweep via GW letters and hoping I can take care of that fourth, final account that's haunting my credit reports Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.