Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it against the law?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it against the law?

My husband and his dad have the same first and last name, but different middle names, there have been 3 or 4 items of my husbands dads in the past that have gone on my husbands credit report, my husbands dads auto loan was on there for a while, which prevented us from financing a car, one of my husbands dads credit cards, his directv bill for 134 dollars that he owed, and there are a couple other things on my husbands credit now that we think are his dads...one is a verizon home phone. You do not have to provide a social security number to get home phone service, or you didnt in 2007 anyway when this was put on his credit, the creditor or CA can not prove this debt is in fact my husbands since no social was used (although in the past even when my husbands dad used his own social, it still some how wound up on my husbands report) since they can not prove that this is in fact my husbands, not his dads, dont they have to delete it by law? Everything came off my husbands credit on its own some how, the auto loan and credit card, but directv we had to dispute 3 times, and finally last month my husband called equifax to dispute it and it was finally removed, im not sure what his rights are legally, and since we have no paper work or anything to prove it wasnt my husbands, i dont know if we can do anything, but isnt up to the creditor or collection agency to prove that its his? And they cant prove that because no social security number was given...help? lol were trying to buy a house but theres a few things on his credit stopping us...we would just pay them to get them over with, but paying them wont raise his score, getting them deleted will, and we need anything thats not his deleted!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it against the law?

Hello.  You should have your husband send a "DV" letter to the CA that is reporting this account.  Yes it is against the FCRA (controls the 3 credit bureaus) and FDCPA (Controls collection agencies) for accounts that do not belong to you to be reported on your reports.  They are BOTH in violation if you can prove this.

You can also call up the credit bureau and ask them if the account has an SS# listed.  You can also send the bureau a "MOV" letter - Method of Validation - this forced them to prove to you HOW they validated this account.

There is a lot you can do on this but it is some work.  If it was me, Id be sending some letters to the CEO of Verizon explaining this and demanding the removal.  I was able to convince Qwest to get the CA to delete a collection, even though it was mine and I still owed a small balance.  I never told them it wasn't mine, just wanted it removed bc it was so old and the CA was reporting it as just last year.  The CEO's of those big phone companies have the authority to take care of this.  You might want to use the "search" box here at the forum and look up "VERIZON" and see if others have any contacts you can use.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.