Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to...

tag
MommomG08
Valued Member

Is it better to...

Leave a small balance on a credit card and have a $0 balance on all others?

We just paid off all of our credit cards in full, and just wondered if I should leave a small balance on one card every month, or is it better to use the card each month but pay it off before the due date so all accounts on my credit reflect a $0 balance?

TIA!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is it better to...

You should leave a small balance on one, 9% or under.  FICO does not like to see all balances at 0.

Message 2 of 8
Lasardo
Established Contributor

I would make sure to use the card (s) every 3 months otherwise it will kick your score down.,
Just make a small purchase like gas and pay it off after it cycles but before the due date so it reports a balance but then you will not be charged interest. (Hope that made sense)
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@MommomG08 wrote:

We just paid off all of our credit cards in full, and just wondered if I should leave a small balance on one card every month, or is it better to use the card each month but pay it off before the due date so all accounts on my credit reflect a $0 balance?

TIA!

If you are looking for maximum scoring effect then you should leave a balance on 1 card between 1-9% that's if you plan on applying for any new credit or want to increase scores for future apps.

I personally use all of my cards each month and change which one reports a balance each month that's just so that everyone feels the love and all cards show activity on my CR for possible CLI's and future approvals so lenders see I can manage all the cards in my portfolio

Other than that it really doesn't matter if you carry balances or not on any cards.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@MommomG08 wrote:

TIA!

If you are looking for maximum scoring effect then you should leave a balance on 1 card between 1-9% that's if you plan on applying for any new credit or want to increase scores for future apps.

I personally use all of my cards each month and change which one reports a balance each month that's just so that everyone feels the love and all cards show activity on my CR for possible CLI's and future approvals so lenders see I can manage all the cards in my portfolio

Other than that it really doesn't matter if you carry balances or not on any cards.

Hmm, yes it does.  Try carrying a large balance and see what happens to your score.

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@MommomG08 wrote:

TIA!

Hmm, yes it does.  Try carrying a large balance and see what happens to your score.

Ha ha ha guiness OP said nothing about carrying large balances Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@MommomG08 wrote:

TIA!

Ha ha ha guiness OP said nothing about carrying large balances Lol

I realize that.  I was responding to the way your post could be misconstrued.  As I took it.

Message 7 of 8
MommomG08
Valued Member

Thank you all for your input!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.