Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it finally time to garden??

tag
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Is it finally time to garden??

Well I started the rebuilding process in early 2013 with an auto loan for 5k ,added a couple of cards later on that year (First premier). I now have a few cards and the auto loan is paid in full with excellent payment history.

My current cards and loans: First premier $300 (can't wait to cancel but it's my oldest account). Also have another FPB CC $700. Hate it.

Navy federal (LOVE THEM! ) Cash Rewards CC 4.5k, Navy Federal Go rewards CC 1.5k, Navy federal CLOC 2K. I also have a month old personal loan for 1k with them. Currently a $700 balance.

Capitol One Quick Silver One CC $300. Debating on closing due to stunted growth.

Just was approved for Barclays Carnival world MC. (I cruise on this line frequently) 2K limit.

Starting scores were all very low 500's. Scores as of yesterday: TU 630 Fico
EX 620 Fico
EQ627 FAKO (CREDIT KARMA)

I'm at about 15% UTI

SO WHAT'S MY NEXT STEP TO IMPROVE? I'm trying to hit 700 by the end of the year. Is this possible? I also have a 5 year old judgment for 5k on TU and EQ but it's paid in full. No baddies on EX at all.

REBUILD STARTED (AGAIN) 9/1/2023

Current Scores 4/4/24

“Breathing new life into a dead credit file”
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it finally time to garden??

@biglista88 wrote:

Well I started the rebuilding process in early 2013 with an auto loan for 5k ,added a couple of cards later on that year (First premier). I now have a few cards and the auto loan is paid in full with excellent payment history.

My current cards and loans: First premier $300 (can't wait to cancel but it's my oldest account). Also have another FPB CC $700. Hate it.

Navy federal (LOVE THEM! ) Cash Rewards CC 4.5k, Navy Federal Go rewards CC 1.5k, Navy federal CLOC 2K. I also have a month old personal loan for 1k with them. Currently a $700 balance.

Capitol One Quick Silver One CC $300. Debating on closing due to stunted growth. Have you been using it heavily? Cap1 like lots of usage. If you sock drawer their cards they really see no reason to increase your line.

Just was approved for Barclays Carnival world MC. (I cruise on this line frequently) 2K limit.

Starting scores were all very low 500's. Scores as of yesterday: TU 630 Fico
EX 620 Fico
EQ627 FAKO (CREDIT KARMA)

I'm at about 15% UTI

SO WHAT'S MY NEXT STEP TO IMPROVE? I'm trying to hit 700 by the end of the year. Is this possible? I also have a 5 year old judgment for 5k on TU and EQ but it's paid in full. No baddies on EX at all.

Message 2 of 8
biglista88
Regular Contributor

It was my favorite card at one point, I used it thoroughly but being new to managing multiple accounts, I let a payment slip by ONE DAY! Stupid mistake, I know but I was immediately kicked from the credit steps program and was told my credit line would stay at $300 indefinitely for at least 9 months ( when capitol one forgives missed payments)

Current Scores 4/4/24

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was getting that message for a while as well. I had a been a day or two late three times last year on one of my cards  - Feb, April, and July. Up until this past December I had high balances every month as well. In December I paid them down and started using both cards heavily, paying them all the way down several times each month, still asking for CLI's each month. December - same answer, January - same answer, February - NEW ANSWER! Credit limit was increased from $500 to $1500. Two months earlier than expected. And my other card which didn't have a late payment charge since May 2014, was also increased from $300 to $800. About a week later I also got them both upgraded to QS and QS1 respectively!

So my advice is to keep trying. If you are using it a lot and keeping it paid down (make mutilpe payments), they will overlook such a mistake.

Message 4 of 8
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Ok, with that said, I'll keep the QS1 for now and see how that strategy works. I was cycling through my limit multiple times a month making full payments accordingly but that 1 day late derailed me. I'll give it one more shot. It won't be as much cycled through the card this time around as you can see I have other great cards that get most of my attention lol

Also, do you have any experience with chase? They just denied me, but barely! Only reason was my oldest account was only a little over 2 years old. That's why I chose barclay after. I'm on the fringe of getting prime cards and dumping the sub prime ones.

Current Scores 4/4/24

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would dump those FPs if you are paying monthly/annual fees, AAoA is not affected immediately only utilization is and if its under control there would be no blowback from closing those cards.  Closed good accounts stay around for up to 10 yrs post close

Message 6 of 8
biglista88
Regular Contributor

That's excellent advice. But I've called to close those accounts before and in turn FP agree to waive all fees for this year. These cards have a 0 balance on both FP cards. I figured why not sock drawer those cards and allow the history to mature providing they're no fees associated with this strategy. However I don't need them for utilization as I'm around 17% without them. They're ultimately destined for closure as this crap bank won't grow an inch with me but I'll squeeze every bit of good I can get out of it for now I think. (Just because I've paid tons of fees for these accounts and I no longer have to). Does that seem like sound logic??

Current Scores 4/4/24

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@biglista88 wrote:
That's excellent advice. But I've called to close those accounts before and in turn FP agree to waive all fees for this year. These cards have a 0 balance on both FP cards. I figured why not sock drawer those cards and allow the history to mature providing they're no fees associated with this strategy. However I don't need them for utilization as I'm around 17% without them. They're ultimately destined for closure as this crap bank won't grow an inch with me but I'll squeeze every bit of good I can get out of it for now I think. (Just because I've paid tons of fees for these accounts and I no longer have to). Does that seem like sound logic??

As long as they will waive the fees then SD them, eventually they will close them for non use.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.