cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible for my FICO score to increase by 25 points in a week?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible for my FICO score to increase by 25 points in a week?

I am in the process of getting qualified for a mortgage on my first house. Very exciting however; when the mortgage company ran my scores I had a score of 615 and I need a score of 620. My LO asked me to pay down my only debt which was a $300 limit credit card to $ 15.00. I have no other loans or bills except this one credit card and after I paid this down to $15.00 he said that we could request a rapid rescore. With doing this my score would then have to increase to a minimum of 640. Once I paid off this debt my score could possibly change up to 32 points. All I need is 25. Is it realistic for this to happen? We are submitting the rapid rescore today. I feel like I may be getting my hopes up this could work and in reality it's just the LO making us feel better.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it possible for my FICO score to increase by 25 points in a week?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of getting qualified for a mortgage on my first house. Very exciting however; when the mortgage company ran my scores I had a score of 615 and I need a score of 620. My LO asked me to pay down my only debt which was a $300 limit credit card to $ 15.00. I have no other loans or bills except this one credit card and after I paid this down to $15.00 he said that we could request a rapid rescore. With doing this my score would then have to increase to a minimum of 640. Once I paid off this debt my score could possibly change up to 32 points. All I need is 25. Is it realistic for this to happen? We are submitting the rapid rescore today. I feel like I may be getting my hopes up this could work and in reality it's just the LO making us feel better.

Thanks for all of the advice!

It is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest... what was the usage of that credit card going into the payment?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never used the card really. Maybe twice a month for small purchases.

Message 3 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I never used the card really. Maybe twice a month for small purchases.

Sorry.. how much balance was on it last credit report?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The balance was $235 on my credit report and I paid it down to $15.00.

Message 5 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The balance was $235 on my credit report and I paid it down to $15.00.

hmmm.. you just might get the boost.. it is really hard to say without knowing your credit mix, and negative information ect ect

-scott

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, look on your lender's report. Just above your FICO info, the tri-merge report will show the top 4 negative things reporting on your CR. If utilization is in the top spot, then the odds are better. If util is not showing in the top four, then the odds of an increase due to CC paydown diminish greatly.

Message 7 of 8
How2increase
Regular Contributor

It is very possible, the Util. That you had was Very high for a 300 limit. I have hope for you Smiley Happy good luck!! And please update!!!
Jan 2012 TU 517 EX(fako) 524 EQ 470
Current score LENDER PULL TU 652 EX 641 EQ 617
Yayy we made it!!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.