cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have both the CA and the OC removed with a PFD?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to have both the CA and the OC removed with a PFD?

Hi,

I'm trying to clean up my report and I'm sending out pay for delete letters in an attempt to get items remove. However, in one instance i received a letter from a collection agency for an account which has been charged off by another collection agency and by the original creditor. Is there a way to I can get both charge-offs removed with a pay for delete letter?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is it possible to have both the CA and the OC removed with a PFD?

For clarification...you have a CO with an OC. That shows $0, right? And there's a CA collecting on a debt they purchased from that OC. That shows a balance, right? Are you saying there's a second CA trying to collect on the same debt?

When you send a PFD to a CA who owns or reports the balance, they cannot remove the OC's TL off your CR because they cannot control how the OC reports or what they report. Your only recourse with the OC is to send a GW letter because in their eyes, the debt is paid. They wouldn't know about any arrangements you have with the CA because the OC no longer owns the debt.

For the CA reporting a balance, send a DV letter first. Their response would have an indication as to whether or not they own the debt. If they still report the debt, they still own it. Now there are some sleazy CAs out there that have a parent corporation with multiple CAs under that umbrella which results in multiple CAs contacting you for the same debt. Sherman is like that (LVNV, et al). But a DV will establish who owns what. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD to the one reporting the balance.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. First, it seems I'm mixing up accounts. Only one account if showing as charged off. Here's what I see.

And then today I got a letter from Allied Interstate indicating that LVNV is willing to settle for $538. So, they're both showing balances. I'm not sure who to pay, or what the best strategy is for getting the information removed.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Did I hit the nail on the head with LVNV?! Smiley Happy

That's how they operate. Same parent company. First off, Allied means nothing to you. If I had that, I'd waste a few bucks on a DV mailed CMRRR. They'll go away. They'll never report for as long as LVNV reports. And for LVNV, send a DV as mentioned already. If they verify and you agree, then send them a PFD. For Citifinancial, the only thing you can do is mail a GW (I'd ask for deletion myself due to being a CFL).

Now for CitiFinancial, they are misreporting assuming LVNV is going after the same debt. CitiFinancial is supposed to be reporting $0 right now. They last updated in 2007 prior to sending it to the CA and didn't update as they should have after selling the debt. You do have the option to dispute CitiFinancial, but I personally would mail a GW. I'd rather have them delete at a GW request than update to $0 via a dispute.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I hit the nail on the head with LVNV?!
Ha, very prescient! And thanks for the advice. I'll be DV'ing LVNV and Allied to see who actually owns the debt and then maybe I can get this off my report.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.