cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to negotiate a judgement payoff amount?

tag
gagirl82
Regular Contributor

Is it possible to negotiate a judgement payoff amount?

Hi Everyone,

I am back again with yet another question about judgements.  I would like to know if it is possible to negotiate a settlement amount after a judgement has been issued.  I have a judgement against me for about $5,500 however the original amount of the debt was only about $2,500.  Is it possible for me to negotiate a settlement amount and have the judgement considered void as in once I pay the settlement amount no one else can come after me for the updaid amount of the judgement?  Thanks in advance to anyone who offers any input!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
hitch345
Valued Member

Re: Is it possible to negotiate a judgement payoff amount?

I had a judgement file against me by Unifund (awful company) for $6550.  I could not go to the court date because of  plans I could not rearrange to state my case or to try and settle.  Fast forward a month and I received a notice of wage garnishment from my employer.  I contacted the attorney for Unifund and asked if I could arrange a one time lump some payment to release the garnishment.  A couple weeks of negotiations went by and my wages had be garnished roughly $800 already.  I offered them $3000 to stop the garnishment and satisfy the judgement and they accepted (in writing of course).  YMMV, but thats how my situation went.  Its worth a shot to contact the attorney.  I settled for half the amount of judgement even when wage garnishments were already in place.  They could have easily said no since, but the law firm was very helpfull and courteous.   Received notice of satisfaction which I promptly put in my fire safe at home lol

Starting Score: 495 Oct 2013
Current Score: 685 Jan 2015 FICO EQ
Goal Score: (Old 680) New Goal of 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
gagirl82
Regular Contributor

Ok.  Thank you for responding!

Message 3 of 5
Season79
Contributor

Good Morning!

I am in the same boat... i had one from 2007, it just came off my credit reports... tried to get ahold of the attys to make arrangements and offered half... they refused. The judgment was sold to 3 different offices and im not sure what they think they can get now. I live in FL and am Head of Household, so they can not garnish my wages and i have no property for them to take.. but, it stinks as i am trying to make it right. I think i will wait a few weeks and try again. Good LUCK, keep us posted! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Some states allow for judge ments to be reinstated and extended even after CRTP has run its course. Most are good for 10 years also.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.