cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to overshadow student loan lates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to overshadow student loan lates?

To keep it short, this is my second post here. I received great advice when I started this journey in January of this year. I'm 25 years old. I have a totally clean credit report aside from Fedloan lates. I received a retroactive forebearance but like many of you know that means nothing. I fell behind after a death in my immediate family and honestly really didn't care. I caught it just shy of default.

Right now I have 7 loans and they all have 180 day lates for a total of 98 Lates. (Horrible right?) Putting me at 65% on time payments.

January 1st 2016 my score was 428 across the board.
I did the Capital One fresh start offer and now have that card with a $500CL, Walmart MasterCard with $400CL, Fingerhut $600CL, Discover It with a $500CL, and Credit One with a $400CL($75AF) I intend to keep all of these cards open and active except the CreditOne card which I intend to close at the one year mark. All payments have been made on time for a year but serious delinquency is still showing on my profile.

My current scores are: TR: 640, EX:620, EQ:655

These scores wouldn't be possible without you guys help so I thank you all so much. Any suggestions for the lates would be immensely appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
lacecop98
Established Member

Re: Is it possible to overshadow student loan lates?

I read that if you get a letter from them stating you indeed had forbearance at the time, send it to cra and they will remove lates....I've heard it work for people and am in the process of trying it myself. Just waiting on the letter.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Lots of lates on student loans, no collections, etc. You've been at it about 6 months longer than I have, though.

I sadly don't have any suggestions for you; I've been harassing Nelnet with goodwill requests by email, and just yesterday got a call from someone who tried to tell me that I should stop emailing their executives every day because they're not going to GW the lates (Nelnet is full of **bleep**). I'm going to ignore this, and hope I annoy them into doing it over time. Otherwise I'll have to wait the full 7 years for them to come off, considering my last late was in March of '16.

Good luck to you, though, and I'll make sure to pass on any info I come across if I do.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lacecop98, I actually tried that but the CRA didn't asked for forebearance documentation. I'll try again through mail sending that info. I heard the same thing but I was denied.

@Farlance, I think I'll start harassing Fedloan as well, I've seen it work for some people. My last late is from November '15 so I understand your frustration. I want to buy a house and car eventually, this Fedloan bs is really making my future look bleak.

I'll do the same in sharing any useful information with the forum.
Message 4 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, Federal student loans are required by law to report lates.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.