cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time to start increasing revolving accounts yet?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it time to start increasing revolving accounts yet?

Hello friends,

Long story coming up. Have a seat and pour yourself a drink.

I neglected my credit entirely for about 6 years.  In that time I have accrued defaulted student loans to the tune of 100k, 2 repos, 3 negatively closed credit cards, a paid tax lien, 2 judgements, and a host of collection accounts.  

I met someone last year who offered to help.  He wouldn't tell me how, but after a fury of online disputes, several collections disappeared,  several negative payments were scrubbed, and some accounts just vanished into thin air.  

Picking up where he left off, i was able to pull all 3 reports based on recent adverse decision last november and went to town.  So far:

*I got 6 of my student loans into an income based payment plan, showing current now, but even after a GW still showing 6 30 day lates.  These 6 loans represent 88k of the 100k of student debt.  Four of the remaining acct are in loan rehab, and 2 just came out of loan rehab and show current.  Their OCs are still showing, some with still a few negative payments but 0 balances.  I am awaiting GW responses from them.

*I made a formal dispute in writing for several accounts, which only got a CA and it's corresponding OC deleted. #smallvictory

*I settled one credit card with OC (Merrick bank) for 30% but didn't know I get a PFD out of the deal.  Question #1, can that be revisited?

*I have a voluntary repo aging out this august (DOFD 9/09).  I am attempting to transfer responsibility to my ex husband (it was an issue of predatory lending, and I basically wrote a letter presenting what I would have brought to court if they wanted to sue).  I only recently found this site and realized I could've left well enough alone #butimnotthatkindagal #youliveyoulearn

*For my my second repo, which occurred 11/13, I just settled with OC for 50% of the principle stretched out over 6 months, again, I didn't know I could negotiate the PFD in that deal. Would it be possible to revisit that after its paid?

*I have 2 Judgements I plan to vacate on the basis of not being properly served with proof that I was unemployed at the time of the hearing and wouldn't have been able to make a deal anyhow and plan to settle those as well within the next 60 days.

*I have a brand new CA with ERC which, from what I've read on this site will be an easy kill.

*Last may I opened a secured card with a local credit union for $250. That's the only revolving credit I have.

All of this so I can finance a car by August (for business) and lease a car for myself by my next birthday a year from now, as well as get on a good path ongoing.

Is now the right time to get a credit card?  I was going to get a secured discover it for 1500 so I can get started on a good payment history.  I also wanted to increase my other secured cards limit to at least 750.  Or should I wait for more answers?

Any advice is appreciated and I'm sorry I don't have any scores yet, I wanted to wait til I finished making all of these moves #chess not checkers

Thanks for reading!

Edited to Add

EX 551

TU 541

EQ 539 

via CCT

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it time to start increasing revolving accounts yet?

Maybe I should simplify my question.

When is a good time to start applying for credit cards in the whole grand scheme of things?  Do you prune off bad accounts completely before applying?

Is it worth it to put a high limit on a secured card?

Thanks again!

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump, really looking for help, or if there is a link to another thread, it would greatly help.  thanks again!

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your *FICO* scores?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i didn't want to waste time pulling them since i have so much going back and forth on my CRs now.  My FAKO with CK is TU 534 and EQ 536.  I have a dispute letter out with EQ that if i dont ge a respnse by this week I will be followuing up on.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be really hard to make a informed recommendation without knowing your fico scores. It know it goes without saying but, the cleaner your reports the better the app outcome  will be. When I first started rebuilding, I used Credit Karma. Regardless of it showing Fakos, it was nice seeing movement with every positive step I made. it gave me the energy I needed to  keep going and it led me to this site a few months later. By the way, before I went to Merrick, I'd check the cap 1 prequal site.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you were posting while I was typing. Have you checked the cap 1 prequal site? IMHO you should wait just a bit longer until you feel comfortable pulling your ficos.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i added my scores in my OP

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea it told me they cant find a match but still recommended QUickSIlver one.  My idea is to wait until all the dust settles, but i just wanted some advice to see if i was going in the right direction.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i didn't want to waste time pulling them since i have so much going back and forth on my CRs now.  My FAKO with CK is TU 534 and EQ 536.  I have a dispute letter out with EQ that if i dont ge a respnse by this week I will be followuing up on.

It's never a waste of time pulling your scores...

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.