cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth doing debt validation?

tag
soliver0012

Is it worth doing debt validation?

If I have old dents is it worth the time?? I just want it paid and done and get going on rebuilding. Could someone she some light?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it worth doing debt validation?

You can pay them all day.  They won't go away.  Just paying them doesn't cause them to get deleted.  Some times you get lucky and that CA will delete for paying but most times you have to work at it.  If you DV now and get rid of some, you won't have to deal with those later.

Message 2 of 14
soliver0012

Ok I was really confused bc I read an article this morning saying CA aren't really supposed to be doing the PFD. So start with DV? Do you know how long it usually takes to get responses? Thanks for your response!
Message 3 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

You will get varying information on different sites.  I, personally, trust this site for my credit repairing.  If they are new, as in you just received the first dunning notice, you have 30 days to send the debt validation letter and they have 30 days to respond.  If these are old debts they actually aren't required to respond but if they can't validate they have to delete.  DV isn't a sure fire way to get rid of them.  It's just one weapon in your arsenal.  When you get ready to pay them try the PFD route first.  You can make an offer for less, especially if they are old.  If they won't work with you you can always send goodwill letters after you pay.  Check your states statute of limitations! Make sure they are past the SOL so there won't be repercussions.  One of the others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.  You also have the option to contact the Original Creditor and ask them to recall the debt.  If they choose to recall the debt it gets removed from your credits and you pay the OC directly.  

Message 4 of 14
soliver0012

Do you know if there is success with asking to recall??? For example I have a Sprint bill from 2008 for $78. I would love to have it recalled and just pay them.
Message 5 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

You always have the option to pay the OC if they still own the debt.  This is not the same as having it recalled tho.  I personally do not have any experience with Sprint but if you just search "sprint" in the search bar I'm sure you will find plenty of thread about them and get a good idea of how they are to work with.  I have had success with only one OC recalling an account.  It's always worth trying.  You may have more leverage if you are able to pay in full now. 

Message 6 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

No, if a CA doesn't respond to a DV, it doesn't require a delete from info reported to the Credit Bureaus.

Message 7 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

See! I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong.  Thanks!  I understood it that if they couldn't validate they had to delete. But maybe that only applies in that 30 day window? Or not at all?

Message 8 of 14
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

You can check the statue of limitations in your state.  You cannot be sued, but you can still be bugged by zombie agencies.  I'd just pay the $78 if they won't PFD and beg hard for a deletion.  And keep begging.  I doubt that Sprint will recall a debt from 2008 for $78. 

I have had MANY things deleted by calling and begging!!!!!

Message 9 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I wish I could say I'd had the same luck.  But plenty on here have had good luck with the GW process.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.