Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth doing debt validation?

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Is it worth doing debt validation?

I think that they are supposed to stop collection actions until validation, but this doesn't change what's on the credit report.

I had a funny thing happen.  I had a CA sell to another CA.  The 2nd CA called and I immediately paid so they wouldn't report, which they didn't.  I called the first CA and said, hey since you aren't collecting and sold it, will you delete.  They agreed and it was gone. 

Sometimes calling and being human can work wonders.  I have a family member who just knows how to 'work people'  A collection showed up on his report and it just wouldn't go away after it was paid.  He ended up getting the email addy of the girl working on his account.  He began to email her, asking her for dates.  She finally got tired of the emails and deleted.  He's lucky he wasn't hit with a harassment suit, but he got the job done!

Message 11 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I tried my best with the paid medicals I had but I could get no where.  Letters, phone calls etc... 

Message 12 of 14
soliver0012

Ok so should I do DV first or just go straight for PFD? I appreciate the help!
Message 13 of 14
tieton
New Contributor

Also, there is not a law that says that an OC or collection agency MUST report a collection or debt. Only, that what is reported be done so accurately. So a PFD is completely legitimate and is at the discretion of company. There are a lot of misinformed people out there including employees of CAs and OCs that will tell you "we can't do that," but that is untrue . . . from a legal standpoint. Either they WON'T because they don't want to or it isn't their policy, or they simply think they are required to report. What article did you read?

Starting Score (FICO): 420s (OUCH!) across the board. 2/2010 mortgage lender pull. Needless to say, didn't get approved.
Current Score (FICO 11/11/14): EX 709, EQ 696, TU 724
Goal Score: 720+ for EQ AND EX!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.