cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it wrong for ME to make a settlement offer?

tag
flinjami83
New Contributor

Is it wrong for ME to make a settlement offer?

Usually I know the company initiates a settlement agreement, but I have a medical account I want removed. Is it acceptable for me to make an offer to settle my account since I can't PIF? I know it will update to "settled" or whatever on my CR, but I'll deal with that later....

Starting Score: 595 (2/22/13)
Current Score: FICO 624 (4/22/2014)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is it wrong for ME to make a settlement offer?

Yes, you can.  You can also ask for a settlement for a deletion.  You may pay a bit more but anything is possible.

Message 2 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Yes, you can.  You can also ask for a settlement for a deletion.  You may pay a bit more but anything is possible.

+1, Try to get the settlement in writing before paying.

Oh and also have it say something like this....." paid less then full amount but considered Paid in Full".

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is not what they say that is, in my opinion, important, it is what they dont say.

As long as they accept any payment as satisfaction of the debt, they are required to report paid, and update the debt balance to $0.

What you dont want is the additional reporting of paid for less, in any form.  The addition of that special comment tells all that you did not pay the entire amount of the debt that you incurred.

Agreement not to report paid for less will make your credit report appear the same to those reviewing it as if the debt were paid in full.

Absence of reference to terms of payment provides no basis for any inference of how much was paid to obtain the satisfaction.

Message 4 of 7
flinjami83
New Contributor

Great advice! Thanks everyone! I am re-writing my settlement letter to include the agreement that it will be reported as "Paid in Full". 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

..... better terminology might be their agreement not to make any reporting of paid for less.

Message 6 of 7
flinjami83
New Contributor

Got it! So crazy how you word things can make all the difference!
Ok, rewrote it for the third time!
Third time's a charm, right?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.