Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is removing a collection worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is removing a collection worth it?

About 2 weeks ago, I got a credit report and saw that I had a collection placed. While my current report from TransUnion adn Experian doesn't show it, Equifax still does. But because the original time of the debt was in April 2011, I'm hoping that it'll disappear by next April from Equifax as well. 

But should I try to dispute it to get rid of it faster? It's pretty old so I don't believe it has a too bif of an effect on my score. 

If I decide to dispute it, what are my best options? Should I go through a credit repair service or do it myself? Should I only contact Equifax instead of the collection agency?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Is removing a collection worth it?

Unless you are planning on trying for new credit befire then I'd just ride it out.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

About 2 weeks ago, I got a credit report and saw that I had a collection placed. While my current report from TransUnion adn Experian doesn't show it, Equifax still does. But because the original time of the debt was in April 2011, I'm hoping that it'll disappear by next April from Equifax as well. 

But should I try to dispute it to get rid of it faster? It's pretty old so I don't believe it has a too bif of an effect on my score. 

If I decide to dispute it, what are my best options? Should I go through a credit repair service or do it myself? Should I only contact Equifax instead of the collection agency?

Is the debt yours? Did you create the debt? If YES, whats your grounds for disputing it?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the debt yours? Did you create the debt? If YES, whats your grounds for disputing it?

I have no idea if it's mine or not. It could be, but it was so long ago. My grounds for disputing it would be that I've never gotten the bill, I guess? And I really haven't. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just call - if you can get through- and ask for an early exclusion. Search the forum for more info on this.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the collection agency? I heard you have to be really careful in what you say to collections to not add 7 more years of it.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Call the collection agency? I heard you have to be really careful in what you say to collections to not add 7 more years of it.

No, the credit bureaus asking for early exclusion.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try that. Thanks.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

stay away from credit repair services, you can do what they can, dispute threw equifax, write letters last resort ask for pay for dispute,or just wait for it to fall off, save your money those places are scams, best of luck to you !!!!

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.