cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a right time to apply for a secured CC?

tag
beachdude
Established Member

Is there a right time to apply for a secured CC?

I was wondering if there is a "right time" to apply for a secured credit  card.  I just paid off a settlement with a CA for just over 5k and have one CC balance with Wells Fargo which is in "charge-off" status.   I'm going to try and settle that with my tax return money.

My question is, do I need to wait until these two issues appear on my CR to apply for an unsecured card?  Is there an optimum time to apply or the sooner the better?

My most recent middle score by FICO is 554.

Starting Score: EQ 584 TU 539 EXP 554 Current Score:EQ 700 TU 700 EXP 700+(lender pull) Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Is there a right time to apply for a secured CC?

@beachdude wrote:

I was wondering if there is a "right time" to apply for a secured credit  card.  I just paid off a settlement with a CA for just over 5k and have one CC balance with Wells Fargo which is in "charge-off" status.   I'm going to try and settle that with my tax return money.

My question is, do I need to wait until these two issues appear on my CR to apply for an unsecured card?  Is there an optimum time to apply or the sooner the better?

The collection will probably hurt your chances of getting a credit card equally;  either as paid or unpaid it still dings your score equally.

Paying the charged~off credit card may help lower your %utilization, which might help your FICO score, if it is currently being included.   

Not having any open CCs may make it difficult to get approved for a CC ~ if you are denied by the rebuilder cards like Cap1, then you might consider trying a secured card.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

HI! Try these 2 links first they have helped me alot, and from personal experience and from what I have heard from others. I would first apply for an unsecured Orchard Bank card they are a little easier to get than the CapOne, then apply for CapOne.

For secured cards, I would apply for Open Sky (no Hard Inquiry for this one), Orchard Bank, Cap One. in that order

if you have time read this:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/pf/1104/gallery.best_credit_cards_bad_credit/index.html

and this site, just click on what credit card you want to apply for and it will show you who got approved with what scores and things on their reports and who did not get approved, very helpful site

http://www.whogavemecredit.com/forms/search.php?srch=browse

HTH! Have a good nite!

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Message 3 of 10
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

@beachdude wrote:

In my opinion, the sooner the better. If you are not approved for Cap 1, Orchard, etc you could perhaps try a local CU, or you can try www.openskycc.com. The open sky card does not pull a credit check, and so none of those issues should impact it. At the Orchard website, they have a preapproval thing that will let you know which card (if any) you are most likely to be approved for), so that may be another option.

In regards to the paid settlement, did you negotiate a PFD with the CA?

EDIT: Izze, we posted very similar information on the CC's but thanks for the links, your post wasn't showing before I submitted mine or I would have just piggybacked off of it.

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 10
beachdude
Established Member

Thank you guys.

No, I did not negotiate a PFD at that time.  I was happy settling on just over 5k for on a balance that was just over 12k.   If you can recommend a plan of action, thanks.    And to all those who answered my post, I am very appreciative.  Thank you.

Starting Score: EQ 584 TU 539 EXP 554 Current Score:EQ 700 TU 700 EXP 700+(lender pull) Goal Score: 720+

Message 5 of 10
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

@beachdude wrote:

Thank you guys.

No, I did not negotiate a PFD at that time.  I was happy settling on just over 5k for on a balance that was just over 12k.   If you can recommend a plan of action, thanks.    And to all those who answered my post, I am very appreciative.  Thank you.

Hi there, having the paid settlement on your reports is still hurting your credit. I would strongly suggest that you send a GW letter to see if they will remove the negative information or delete the entire TL from your report. That is how you will most likely get your scores increased.

Before paying off debts, try to do a PFD so that the negative information can be removed.

If you search on here or on the net for GW letters you can find one that works for your situation. Best wishes!

Message 6 of 10
beachdude
Established Member

If I already paid off a debt from a CA, would I still ask for a PFD?  I thought PFD's were a combo of paying off a debt AND getting it removed from your CR.  No? 

Message 7 of 10
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

@beachdude wrote:

If I already paid off a debt from a CA, would I still ask for a PFD?  I thought PFD's were a combo of paying off a debt AND getting it removed from your CR.  No? 

If you've already paid off a debt you would need to do a GW (Goodwill) letter to request that they remove it.

Message 8 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@PapasWifey wrote:

Hi there, having the paid settlement on your reports is still hurting your credit. I would strongly suggest that you send a GW letter to see if they will remove the negative information or delete the entire TL from your report. That is how you will most likely get your scores increased.

Before paying off debts, try to do a PFD so that the negative information can be removed.

If you search on here or on the net for GW letters you can find one that works for your situation. Best wishes!

+ 1 Any notation of "settled" on your reports is scored the same as a charge off.

Message 9 of 10
beachdude
Established Member

Ok, I will give it my best.  Thank you both for the advice.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.