Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a trick to Experian?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a trick to Experian?

So, I've had this public record on my credit report.  It's a state tax lien and was filed the same day the amount was paid.  It's been discharged in full.  So, I dispute it with TU and EQ by mail and EX online.  Hear back from EX first within 48hrs with the outcome: "Remains."  Next, TU responds by mail (around 2-3weeks) that it's been removed as it cannot be verified, same from EQ (CSC) about 10days later.

What's the trick to Experian?  They can't possibly verify with the old out of date court system here in 48hrs.  I think it's just going to their computer which says...yes the #s all match with what the computer says.  I've sent a letter to EX now requesting additional investigation and written documentation of the existence of the lien.

Is there anything else I should do?? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there a trick to Experian?

Good luck with Experian.  If you get anywhere with them let me know.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Experian is a royal PITA!  They do as they please.

I've pretty much chosen to behave as though they don't exist.  Anyone pulling your score knows the nightmare with them too.  (they all have reports too & know the heartburn associated with EX)

That's my way of thinking anyway.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 12
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

What you did is correct, it's called a MOV(method of Verifcation) There is a MOV letter here somewhere, try the search box, if you would like.

You can find more detailed info about this (I would type it but very long) under the sticky Freq Requested Treads,then click on other freq req threads

and under that check out MOV.

Sorry to redirect you to the stickys, but you can find very good info there.

And for the new lurkers out there check out What steps do i take? Do I DV? PFD?

I'm with you---I think EX likes to play by their own rules.  They even make their FICO score a secret.well from the consumer anyway.Smiley Sad

Hope other will chime in soon..........many here have state tax lien on there CR's........so maybe one of them can help youSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 12
ShowCredit
Frequent Contributor

Sent Experian MOV, and they only updated a medical collection now to a Charge Off.  They are ridiculous.  I can't be bothered with them.  I am reporting them to FCRA.

Starting Score: EQ-686 TU 703
Current Score: EQ-695 TU 713
Goal Score: EQ-800 TU 800

href="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=FC&thread.id=1">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I share your skeptcism.  Tax liens cannot be reported to your CR until the court orders judgment.  But courts dont normally report directectly to the CRAs.  They get into your CR because some third party has picked it up as a public record, And reported it to a CRA.

If the judgment was actually entered by the court, then there really is nothing to dispute.  If you dispute it. one CRA may note take the time and effort to verify, but another may not. I dont know how EX obtained the verification they reported back to you.  Did they contact the court, or the government taxing authority? Tax liens are difficult to verify.  But if you dispute under FCRA 611(a), they must contact the provider of the information.  They cannot simply verify from their in-house computer records.

If you want to pursue it, send EX a request under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii), asking them to provide you a full description of the procedure they used to verify the accuracy and completeness of the disputed information, along with the name and business address of the furnisher of the disputed information who they contacted to verify the informaqtion.  They have 15 days to respond to this request.  They may be hard pressed to do this. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian is the absolute worst cra to deal with by far.
Message 7 of 12
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I share your skeptcism.  Tax liens cannot be reported to your CR until the court orders judgment.  But courts dont normally report directectly to the CRAs.  They get into your CR because some third party has picked it up as a public record, And reported it to a CRA.

If the judgment was actually entered by the court, then there really is nothing to dispute.  If you dispute it. one CRA may note take the time and effort to verify, but another may not. I dont know how EX obtained the verification they reported back to you.  Did they contact the court, or the government taxing authority? Tax liens are difficult to verify.  But if you dispute under FCRA 611(a), they must contact the provider of the information.  They cannot simply verify from their in-house computer records.

If you want to pursue it, send EX a request under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii), asking them to provide you a full description of the procedure they used to verify the accuracy and completeness of the disputed information, along with the name and business address of the furnisher of the disputed information who they contacted to verify the informaqtion.  They have 15 days to respond to this request.  They may be hard pressed to do this. 

In most states the court has nothing to do with the initial issuance of a tax lien.  It is an administrative process.  As such, a tax lien can find its way onto your credit report through the third party providers you've mentioned or directly from the state tax authorities.  Many states now report these items directly to the CRAs.  Also, many states -- such as New York -- have a publicly searchable database of all tax and child support enforcement liens.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Investigation by Experian?  Yeah..

I Swear i think they are running a paper recycling business..   They want you to send proof and documents and nothing ever happens..   Its a black hole of I "we dont give a crap"...

Proof and Valid Disputes go in..     Nothing comes out of it..

They have a monopoly on in-acurate information it seems..   Atleast TU and EQ will take a look at what you send them. 

Message Edited by FromPlattoPlace on 10-06-2009 08:02 AM
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG, thanks for the info....I figured there was something in the FCRA about it.  I'll wait and see what happens with my current letter then if not satisfactory I'll send out such a request to EX.

Was never any sort of judgement or anything at all.  I was sent a notice in the mail from the state tax collections for 2005 tax that apparantely never got paid (seems the check never cleared...)  So here it is in 2009 they file a lien, I paid it and the lien was discharged less than 2weeks after their initial filing.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.