cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to check the FICO scores banks use for mortgages without applying for one?

tag
teachermama14
Established Member

Is there a way to check the FICO scores banks use for mortgages without applying for one?

The FICO scores I paid for through this site are much higher than the scores my broker pulled. Any idea if there's a way to monitor this other FICO score? I'm so confused by this whole process. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Is there a way to check the FICO scores banks use for mortgages without applying for one?

Welcome to the forum

All depends if you know what model their pulling sure you can get the scores without applying for a mortgage 

The problem is there are 49 Fico scoring models out there and the 50th was just released about 3 weeks ago

Models can be customized to a specific lenders needs as well depend on what criteria they specify they want.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Is there a way to check the FICO scores banks use for mortgages without applying for one?

Find a loan officer who would pull a trimerge report for you. That is the only way.

Message 3 of 10
abundancejones
Regular Contributor

FNBO offers a monthly Experian Bancard Enhanced FICO. I believe Chase and Citi uses that model. 

Message 4 of 10
JLK93
Established Contributor

@teachermama14 wrote:

The FICO scores I paid for through this site are much higher than the scores my broker pulled. Any idea if there's a way to monitor this other FICO score? I'm so confused by this whole process. 

The mortgage industry is pretty much standardized on FICO 04. If you purchase a FICO score from the Equifax website it should be Equifax 04 (Beacon 5.0). It seems that Equifax is still selling Eq 04. That could change at any time. It should be the same score a mortgage broker would pull. Be carefull buying scores from Equifax. They sell FAKO scores as well. You can get your Equifax 04 FICO score free every month as a member of DCU.

Message 5 of 10
teachermama14
Established Member

My middle score from myfico.com is 633 and the scores the lenders pulled was 582. I had a couple pull at the same time and they all came back with the same.
Message 6 of 10
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

mmm this is so discouraging! bc we are payign for this scores yet they might not even be what the lender will pull :/

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 7 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Jess21 wrote:

mmm this is so discouraging! bc we are payign for this scores yet they might not even be what the lender will pull :/

Generally, I recommend that folks pay attention to the trend shown by the scores ... are they rising or falling. Other than that, someone posted here recently that there is "entertainment" value in them. Since the EQ score seems to be the same as the lender sees, that is a good thing ... but it still does not tell you if it will be the important middle score that the lender cares about. My thought on this is that, if your EQ score from myFICO is way above 640, then go have a loan officer pull a trimerge report so you can see the rest of your profile like the mortgage lenders would see.

Message 8 of 10
teachermama14
Established Member

My highest score is 617 via the lenders and 655 here. Anyone have a mortgage lender they know that uses the classic FICO score from here? I'm a veteran and trying to buy a house. No major problems-- never late on mortgage, no foreclosure/collection/short sale/bankruptcy-- just a couple 30 day lates in the past year. 

Message 9 of 10
JLK93
Established Contributor

@teachermama14 wrote:

My highest score is 617 via the lenders and 655 here. Anyone have a mortgage lender they know that uses the classic FICO score from here? I'm a veteran and trying to buy a house. No major problems-- never late on mortgage, no foreclosure/collection/short sale/bankruptcy-- just a couple 30 day lates in the past year. 

None of the scores from myfico are FICO 04. These scores won't help you much with a mortgage. Its not what the mortgage lenders pull. Get a FICO score from the Equifax website.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.