cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to finding if you have an unpaid med. bill???

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Is there a way to finding if you have an unpaid med. bill???

Hello all, last month i received a collection for old medical bill that i thought was paid for so I called the CA and they agreed to delete...now today it finally fell off of my report then a new one appeared simutaneously- kinda like the CA are seeing who is trying to keep their report clean and that they know WILL pay!! 

Anways, so I called the new one up and finding out it was accurate from 2007 when I lost my insurance and didn't get back insurance until 2009 so between those dates unpaid bills may be lingering!

Everything happened when I didn't have insurance briefly and when I do have insurance health is tip top shape!! Smiley Sad

Okay now, the main reason for this post is to find out if there is a way to find out if you have unpaid medical bills- so I can immediately pay before it hits report- without awaking any sleeping dragons??

I honestly thought I paid all of my bills, but they had sooo many different people collecting their portion that statements got mixed up or never recieved since i've moved since then. 

This is so disheartening, i'm doing my best to clean report and new sharks come out Smiley Sad I don't want to avoid my debts...if they're mine i want to pay what i owe...the thing is i don't know who I owe or what I owe anymore...everyone just seems to be sticking their hands in my purse claiming their piece.

Please someone with experience on this matter help out! Smiley Wink

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is there a way to finding if you have an unpaid med. bill???

@lisamar81 wrote:

Okay now, the main reason for this post is to find out if there is a way to find out if you have unpaid medical bills- so I can immediately pay before it hits report- without awaking any sleeping dragons??

DW and I don't have any health insurance for ourselves and the kiddos. Barring a catastrophic medical malaise, I've found it to be much, much cheaper and I know we saved thousands in the past couple of years. Plus the bills are cheaper because every doc we deal with gives up a 30%+ cut in costs due to being self-pay. But with pediatricians, OB/GYNs, internal medicine docs, annual checkups, sniffly noses, and the occasional ER visit, there are a herd of bills to track and follow and it is easy to miss one every now and then.

When we moved, we recently had kiddo #4  and with that a bunch of bills. What I found worked was that I called each and every doc we ever did business with in the year prior. I called each practice and told them I moved and gave them our new address. I also asked if we had any balance, and regardless if they said $0 or not, I asked for a printout from them showing what was owed and what wasn't owed. And when we went for a medical visit, I always ask for a printout of any reoccurring balance. This accomplished getting them my new address and to figure out if I owed money or not so it wouldn't go to collections. Once in a blue moon we won't get any bill whatsoever or they'll say they'll bill us and never do and one slips to a CA, but I've been successful in getting gthe OC to pull it back.

Message 2 of 3
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there a way to finding if you have an unpaid med. bill???

@llecs wrote:

@lisamar81 wrote:

DW and I don't have any health insurance for ourselves and the kiddos. Barring a catastrophic medical malaise, I've found it to be much, much cheaper and I know we saved thousands in the past couple of years. Plus the bills are cheaper because every doc we deal with gives up a 30%+ cut in costs due to being self-pay. But with pediatricians, OB/GYNs, internal medicine docs, annual checkups, sniffly noses, and the occasional ER visit, there are a herd of bills to track and follow and it is easy to miss one every now and then.

When we moved, we recently had kiddo #4  and with that a bunch of bills. What I found worked was that I called each and every doc we ever did business with in the year prior. I called each practice and told them I moved and gave them our new address. I also asked if we had any balance, and regardless if they said $0 or not, I asked for a printout from them showing what was owed and what wasn't owed. And when we went for a medical visit, I always ask for a printout of any reoccurring balance. This accomplished getting them my new address and to figure out if I owed money or not so it wouldn't go to collections. Once in a blue moon we won't get any bill whatsoever or they'll say they'll bill us and never do and one slips to a CA, but I've been successful in getting gthe OC to pull it back.

Definitely good info for future reference...ThanksSmiley Wink

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.