cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to rebuild without spending copious amounts of $$$$?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a way to rebuild without spending copious amounts of $$$$?

I think what PNW_RN suggested about getting a second job is probably the #1 thing you should focus on. With 3 children, you'll need something you can do from home to being in some extra money without it having to go towards childcare. Do you have any extra items you can sell on eBay? Are you crafty or artistic? If you're a paralegal you're probably pretty smart, can you edit papers or tutor kids who live nearby? By doing some variation of childcare & tutoring you could probably being in a decent amount to put toward debt while working with where you are.

A friend of mine started an after school program in her home to keep an eye on kids and help them with homework while parents were at their evening jobs/responsibilities and made very good money. Some kids came every day, others were there just certain days of the week while a parent was busy with another child's activities (soccer, counseling...) and in 2 years she saved up enough to treat herself to a beautiful classic Jaguar convertible she was lusting after.
Message 21 of 34
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@aLottaGoodEggs wrote:

My net monthly income is $2,800.00 + $260 in Food Stamps

My expenses are as follows:

Rent $1,350

Child Care: $500 (I have 3 kids)

Phone: $140

Utilities (electric, water, trash, gas): $350

Car insurance: $120

Gas: $40

Food/ household items: $400-$500

So my total monthly expenses are about $3000

My outstanding debt is as follows:

Hospital Bill: $1,435

Hospital Bill: $397

Capital One: $300ish

Capital One: $500ish

Kohls: $568

Comenity/VS: $300ish

Credit Union Loan: $700ish

The secured card is with OpenSky $300 credit limit

Cutting expenses anywhere you can would help.  I would look into the Lifeline Program for your phone:  http://www.usac.org/li/  

You may want to check with your other utilities companies to see if they offer similar low-income programs.   Since you are supporting yourself and 3 children, you may be able to receive more assistance than you suspected.  

As far as how to resolve the CC debts, I was wondering if any of your debts are close to SOL in your state.    Unfortunately, Capital One (they also back your Kohl's card) will not accept PFDs.   However, they may be willing to settle on the debts.   This could help, since COs not only affect your UTIL, but they also report monthly, making your baddies appear "recent".   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 34
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the myFICO family.  You came to the right place looking for help.  These fine folks helped me build my credit back from the mid-500's to the 700's club in a year and a half.  I paid attention.  Even when I didn't like what I was hearing.  Building your credit is hard work when you've made a mess of it. There are no easy ways to do it.

You have got some great advice and some tough love from lowkey and PNW.  One take away from all of this should be that we have all been there.  Some of us have succeeded and rebuilds are complete; some are still rebuilding,  You are not alone.  There are many single Mothers and Fathers struggling with the very same, very real issues. 

If you owe copious amounts of money, then there is no way to avoid it.  If you are serious about rebuilding your credit, then find a place to begin and dig in for the long haul.  IT WILL BE A LONG HAUL.  Seems you have three options:  Look into bankruptcy again, ignore your debts and hope they don't sue you (wouldn't be my first choice), or start somewhere and begin to pay it back.  There is no easy fix to your situation; however, more credit isn't the answer.  Better credit is what you need.  Since you have already stated that you spend more than make (not a judgement, it's a fact from your previous post). If you can't increase your income, you have to find a way to cut your expenses.  Shop at the dollar store for your staples and get your produce from the market or vegetable stand.  When I was a kid, we had beans (made many different ways) and eggs and potatos.  We drank powdered milk (yuck).  There are ways to cut your expenses.  Shop at goodwill or consignment stores for your family's clothing.  Get a cheaper phone plan.  Drop your cable bill, if you have one.  Find a way.

Funnel any cut backs into savings.  I'm with lowkey....you need an emergency fund, before you can truly begin to rebuild.  

You are going to have to change your thinking and the way you've been handling your money.  Your debt in not insurmountable.  With discipline and time you can overcome this.  I know it feels overwhelming right now.  You CAN get out from under this.  Set a goal and work towards it, rinse and repeat. That's the best advice I can give you.  That's how most of us have come through it.  

I wish you the best of luck on your rebuild.  We are all rooting for you!

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think what PNW_RN suggested about getting a second job is probably the #1 thing you should focus on. 

I disagree. Being a single parent with 3 children and a full-time job is already exhausting enough. 

Message 24 of 34
aLottaGoodEggs

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to take a look it my credit report again to see what all has been sold to CA's and what is still with the original creditor. I'll update when I'm able to access my credit report (I saved it on my computer at work). As far as getting a 2nd job goes I really haven't found anything steady that I can do. I do odd things here and there for extra money, I've done research studies, focus groups, donated my eggs, helped people with pro se legal documents, sold stuff on eBay, etc. That isn't steady income that I can rely on though, it's very "here and there" and when I get extra money like that it's done to stuff I needed for my kids that I can't normally buy with my regular budget or necessities for my car like new tires, and paying off any of my monthly bills that I was behind on. I would love to find something steady that I can do from home in the evenings... I've tried to do childcare but I guess not many people need nighttime child care (that's all I'd be able to do because of my 8-5 job), no one responded to my ad and tbh my house isn't ideal for childcare as it's very, very small. Unfortunately I don't qualify for any more government assistance than the $260 I get in food stamps, my kid's were actually kicked off Medicaid a few months ago because my income was "too high" which seems insane, and my kids were put on CHiP (which is still Medicaid except now I have to pay co-pays and enrollment fees), so basically I'm right on the brink of not qualifying for any government assistance at all if I get another raise. Someone told me I can donate Plasma and get paid for it so I may give that a try but I really hate getting my blood drawn.
Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aLottaGoodEggs wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to take a look it my credit report again to see what all has been sold to CA's and what is still with the original creditor. I'll update when I'm able to access my credit report (I saved it on my computer at work). As far as getting a 2nd job goes I really haven't found anything steady that I can do. I do odd things here and there for extra money, I've done research studies, focus groups, donated my eggs, helped people with pro se legal documents, sold stuff on eBay, etc. That isn't steady income that I can rely on though, it's very "here and there" and when I get extra money like that it's done to stuff I needed for my kids that I can't normally buy with my regular budget or necessities for my car like new tires, and paying off any of my monthly bills that I was behind on. I would love to find something steady that I can do from home in the evenings... I've tried to do childcare but I guess not many people need nighttime child care (that's all I'd be able to do because of my 8-5 job), no one responded to my ad and tbh my house isn't ideal for childcare as it's very, very small. Unfortunately I don't qualify for any more government assistance than the $260 I get in food stamps, my kid's were actually kicked off Medicaid a few months ago because my income was "too high" which seems insane, and my kids were put on CHiP (which is still Medicaid except now I have to pay co-pays and enrollment fees), so basically I'm right on the brink of not qualifying for any government assistance at all if I get another raise. Someone told me I can donate Plasma and get paid for it so I may give that a try but I really hate getting my blood drawn.

Finding extra income is exhausting, and unless you have free childcare, not worth the extra money. I only have one child and having multiple jobs drove me into a dark, dark place. I don't recommend it as a single parent. You are getting along just fine, and just dipping into your grocery money (maybe even limiting it to the food stamp award) would be sufficient.

I'll check back on Monday to see if you have the credit report info added.

Just breathe. Lots of paths to a good place.

Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it seems hopeless right now but things will get better.  It just takes time.  I started with a score of 475 due to job loss.   The first thing I did was start to settle my old debts.  Every week I paid a couple off.  That alone raised my score almost 70 points.  Bring all of your accounts current.  Everything that is reported to the credit burreau, pay on time, all the time.  Eventually you will see your scores come up.  Also I would try getting a less expensive cell phone bill.  Friends of ours used Cricket and they went from a $300 bill to $60.  Best of luck to you and your family.

Message 27 of 34
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

It sounds like you are newly divorced?  Is dad paying child support.  Not to get in your personal business too much, but I made the mistake of not going for child support for years because I didn't want to rock the boat.  It made things harder on the kids because of that.  Also, have you looked at whether you will qualify for the Earned Income Credit?  That can be added to your paycheck but you need to speak with your employer about that.  I never did that so I'm not sure how it's done.  I was single mom working multiple jobs so I understand!  Hang in there, it'll get better.  Just take things one step at a time.  Right now, instead of focusing on paying off the old debt, focus on how to either increase your take home pay or decrease your regular bills.  I switched from cable to Netflix, that was a huge savings.  Took my cell plan to it's lowest allowed, got rid of the home phone and learned to be creative with casseroles because they are cheap and you can eat them for days!  Adjusting your thermostat can save a lot on electric bills too.  I also found that renting from individuals that I could explain my situation to helped.  If you have a good rental history and job, many individuals will give you an opportunity.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:

It sounds like you are newly divorced?  Is dad paying child support.  Not to get in your personal business too much, but I made the mistake of not going for child support for years because I didn't want to rock the boat.  It made things harder on the kids because of that.  Also, have you looked at whether you will qualify for the Earned Income Credit?  That can be added to your paycheck but you need to speak with your employer about that.  I never did that so I'm not sure how it's done.  I was single mom working multiple jobs so I understand!  Hang in there, it'll get better.  Just take things one step at a time.  Right now, instead of focusing on paying off the old debt, focus on how to either increase your take home pay or decrease your regular bills.  I switched from cable to Netflix, that was a huge savings.  Took my cell plan to it's lowest allowed, got rid of the home phone and learned to be creative with casseroles because they are cheap and you can eat them for days!  Adjusting your thermostat can save a lot on electric bills too.  I also found that renting from individuals that I could explain my situation to helped.  If you have a good rental history and job, many individuals will give you an opportunity.

I did the same thing, and now that I filed for joint custody and make 3x the income he does (after struggling for 7 years all alone, sometimes working 3 jobs and being on food stamps), I'm paying HIM child support. Smiley Frustrated

Message 29 of 34
WayUpto850
New Contributor

Greetings,

First I want to wish you well in navigating your way to a better financial situation. I would be very careful about paying $$$ to get your credit restored.

1. Contact Money Management International (Consumer Credit Counselors).  They are a FREE credit counseling and debt management resource. They can counsel you and advise you on the best approach to reach financial stability.  They can even provide a Debt Management Plan and make payment arrangements with creditors to pay an agreed amount.

https://www.moneymanagement.org/

You can do this on your own, if you have the energy - you may be distracted by health issues or other circumstances - in that case it can be helpful to have the credit counselors stay on top of your situation until you can focus on the debts.

2.  MMI can also help you set up a budget that meets your basic needs, including help you to prioritize debts and expenses.

ABOUT CREDIT REPAIR COMPANIES:

Be careful of paying a credit repair company. They will charge you a monthly fee and will repeatedly dispute negative items on your credit report with the hope they will be removed or age off. 

IMHO, the $$$ you would pay to a credit repair company would be better spent subscribing to myfico.com and review all 3 credit reports and reviewing the summary for your reports.  myfico.com tells you what is bringing your score down. 

Once you have your credit reports, you can get creditor or collection agency contact info from your report. Contact creditor or collection agency and ask for a settlement offer. Make repayment arrangements.  After repaying debt, request they stop reporting it to Credit Bureaus, then dispute the item with all 3 Credit Bureaus.

This takes time, but it gets the "baddies" off your credit reports and helps rebuild your credit.  I would go to the Dollar store and get a notebook pad and list the contact information for each creditor/collection agency on a separate page. Then take notes : the date and time of contact; who did you speak to; what was communicated; when was debt paid off; when is debt agreed to be deleted from Credit Report or when does creditor/collection agency agree to stop reporting the debt.

Once you have repaid/settled your debts, there are unsecured credit cards for poor credit applicants.  Only use that card to raise your credit score - that means donot charge more than 1/3 of credit limit and pay what you borrow each month on time.

"I commit to being grateful for all that I now have in my life."

Beginning Apr 2017 FICO 575
Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.