cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything I can do to raise my credit score just a few points??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anything I can do to raise my credit score just a few points??

I have been rebuilding my credit for a few months now and I just need a few points to get to a better mortgage interest rate.

My credit is as follows:

Equifax: 602- 1 medical collection

Trans: 671- No collections

Experian: 607- 1 medical collection

I had my scores higher but some mortagage inquiries have made them go down. I have total credit line of $2200, My utilization is at zero. Is there anything I can do to to up Experian or Equifax just a little?? Ive had some collections removed, and for some reason I cannot dispute anything online with any of the bureaus...My Lender is looking for a middle score of 640. Experian is showing as 633 on the scoring model that they use, so as you can see Im pretty close!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Teo
Valued Member

Re: Is there anything I can do to raise my credit score just a few points??

For me, what worked was two things:  (1) the formula of having one card report at 5% or less util, and the rest at 0.  This made my score higher than letting all report at 0; and (2) taking out a secured shared loan for 500 and immediately paying it down (works only if you have no other installment loans, opened or closed) - there's a thread here about how to do it.

Current FICO 743, no baddies
April '16 550 4 collections

Current credit and limits (in order of approval)
Discover It (Unsecured at 6 mos) 4.6k -- Cap 1 Quicksilver One (900) -- Overstock (3800) -- NFCU Cash Rewards (25k) -- Share Secured Installment (500 - paid down to 40ish) -- Amex PRG (NPSL) -- Amex BCP (25k) -- Amex EDP (15k) -- Citi Advantage (10k)
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if an installment loan would work. My bank is willing to give me a loan, and I can pay for it right away. Thats no problem, but I didnt know if it would hurt or help. I have no installment loans. Just 3 credit cards. My car is paid off. Im pretty simple. I will try the utilization trick though. Thanks for the advice.

Message 3 of 7
Teo
Valued Member

There's a specific way to do the intallment in order for it to help your score.  If you search, there is a thread here with step by step instructions to use Allian (entire process is online).   If you apply and make the first payment immediately it will report at the end of the month.  Mine was really fast.

Current FICO 743, no baddies
April '16 550 4 collections

Current credit and limits (in order of approval)
Discover It (Unsecured at 6 mos) 4.6k -- Cap 1 Quicksilver One (900) -- Overstock (3800) -- NFCU Cash Rewards (25k) -- Share Secured Installment (500 - paid down to 40ish) -- Amex PRG (NPSL) -- Amex BCP (25k) -- Amex EDP (15k) -- Citi Advantage (10k)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, that sounds pretty cool. I will definitely check that out. Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you offered a pay for deletion on the medical collection?

Is there any chance of getting that collection paid by a medical insuror, which would then be basis for its deletion from your credit report.....?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone curious as to my outcome, I did receive a 23 point increase on my Experian score once my credit cards reported my balances. I left a $13 balance on Capital One, so I was at 1% utilization. I do not know if that actually helped as oppossed to a $0 utilization but Id like to think it did. I was able to secure my mortgage and get the $15k down payment assistance that I was working for. Currently my scores are:

Experian:630

Equifax:635

Transunion:717

I just started buliding/rebuilding my credit in November. All of my scores were below 600 (around the 550 range) so I know its possible to raise them fairly quickly. I wouldnt have been able to do it without MyFico and these forums. Thanks everyone for your input!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.