Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a common practice?

tag
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

Is this a common practice?

I have been trying to work on improving my credit scores, and am going to send some goodwill and pay for delete letters to some of my creditors.  I got a letter in the mail the other day regarding an old T-Mobile account that my son had run up on the second phone.  They sent me a letter saying that if I would pay it, they would delete it off my credit report.  Is this a common practice?  This is the first letter like that I have received.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Is this a common practice?

Did your son open the account or was it a family talk kinda plan? If he opened the account, I don't see why you would be held accountable. Is the letter from AFNI by any chance? Pay for deletes (PFD) is a very common practice. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 5
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

No, this was an account opened in my name, but we had a family plan.  I told him not to download anything on the phone, but he did anyway, so it ran the bill up to where I could not pay it. 

Yes, it is from Afni and not only are they offering to delete after receiving payment, but are also willing to settle for a very reasonable amount, so I think I am going to take them up on their offer.

I was just wondering if this was a practice that is being seen more now by creditors or CA's. 

Thanks for your response.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 3 of 5
sobreezy
Contributor

If you're feeling that it's kind of shady send them your own PFD to the address on your CR or call the number listed on your CR and ask questions.  If they are willing to delete than I would try to jump on that.

MyFako scores EX 594, EQ 553, TU 589 as of 10 Jun 11
myFICO EQ 614 TU 599 EX 644
Goal 700 by March 30 2015
Message 4 of 5
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Save the letter and jump on it!! Afni is known for PFD's. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.