Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good goodwill letter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a good goodwill letter?

I just wrote a goodwill letter to Navient in hopes of removing some late payments. I have never written a GW letter before but I found some samples and made them my own. I really want some opinions and advice on whether this looks good or not. I didn't include any account numbers or my real name in the copy I am about to post. Here it is..

To Whom It May Concern,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this letter. I just pulled my credit report, and discovered that a total of five late payments were reported on 12/14, 1/15, 2/15, for my account # xyz123

During that time I had just escaped an abusive relationship and found myself newly pregnant and alone. I was unsure of mine and my baby's future and for a brief period of time found myself homeless. I had a few scares during my pregnancy but I delivered a healthy baby girl in October 2014 just 13 days before my 38th birthday.
I realize I made a mistake in falling behind , but up until that point, I had tried keeping in contact with Navient in hopes of avoiding negative marks on my credit. In August of 2015 after my life was more stable and my daughter was ten months old I started on my journey of trying to deal with my finances and my credit problems. Since March of 2015 I have been in an income repayment plan and have done my best to stay in contact with Navient.

I am not proud of the negative marks that I have on my credit but I have been working to rebuild it for almost two years and it is slowly improving. I have a daughter that will be three in October and I would love to be able to raise her in a home of our own before she turns four. I would be extremely grateful if you would consider removing these five late payments from my credit so that I can get a modest home for us.

I do take responsibilty for these late payments. I only ask for grace in removing the late payments and I assure you that I will not be late again whether you remove the late payments or not. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life and now finally at 40 years old I know that I have not only the knowledge but the will to get it right.

If the lateness cannot be removed entirely, I would still be very grateful if you would be willing to make even a goodwill adjustment.

Thank you,

(My name)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a good goodwill letter?

Also, who do I send the letter to? Do I send it to the office of student advocate?

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds good to me. Normally they go to the office of the CEO or Company President but Im not sure with SLs.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is this related to a federal student loan?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they are federal loans. I had four and had them consolidated several years back. 

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Creditors are required under the Higher Education Act to report delinquencies on federal student loans.

Based on that requirment, creditors normally will not grant good-will deletions.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.