Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a tax lien?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a tax lien?

I foreclosed on a FHA home loan in 2006. Part of the process was they withheld my federal income tax return until the remaining balance was paid, after the home was sold/auctioned, for a few years. The final year of that was May 2012. I have an entry on my credit report from "US Department of Housing and Urban Development" showing the balance to be paid in full.

My question is, before I start anything, and please forgive my ignorance, but is this a tax lien? I have tried googling, but all the results are pertaining to how to get an FHA loan with a tax lien.

Once I figure it out, I can maybe start with the IRS's Fresh Start Program.

Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a tax lien?

No, thats not a tax lien. Thats HUD seizing your taxes for a foreclosure deficiency. Different animal entirely.

Not sure why it would still be showing up on your reports, if the foreclosure was in 2006 though. Can you post a Screenshot?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. Here is a screenshot of it.

http://m.imgur.com/3KI6RWu

Any suggestions on how to get this removed?
Message 3 of 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

It looks to be past the date of which it can legally be reported. The DOFD would be the point at which you first went delinquent, they can report for 7 years + 180 days past the DOFD. Although they are usually removed right at or close to the 7 year mark. Looking at the screenshot it looks as if they have the DOFD in 2012, although the payment history shows otherwise.I would file a dispute challenging that it is past its legal reporting date and ask that it be removed.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reference to the fact that it was under collection must be excluded.  It is past the 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD.

However, the monthly delinquencies each can remain for 7 years from their individual dates of occurence.  They do not all become excluded togehter based on DOFD.

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the input. Here is a screenshot of it.

http://m.imgur.com/3KI6RWu

Any suggestions on how to get this removed?

They have the DoFD completely reported in error they are saying it was in 2/2012 and that is clearly wrong. I would dispute this with the CRA and once the correct DoFD is reported the whole TL should be removed from your CR, I would request that in your dispute as well..

Message 6 of 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

RobertEG, I understand what you are saying, but wouldn't that only be true if the account was not a charge off/collection status? Due to it becoming a charge off/collection the whole trade line should be removed based on the correct DOFD which was clearly more than 7 years ago.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated!

How would I go about getting this removed?
Message 8 of 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I would dispute it with all 3 CRA as being past the date of which it can legally be reported, and ask for immediate removal. There is a section which you can detail why you are disputing.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.