Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this dispute worthy?

tag
AMil93
Established Member

Is this dispute worthy?

I've been combing through the baddies on my credit report looking for any errors (with no luck -_-) Uploading a screenshot of a charge off. Equifax lists the last activity as 10/2015 while TU(middle) and EX(right) list it as 12/2015. Would it be wise to dispute this? I'd hate for them to just add the late to TU and EX. Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 11.58.40 PM.png

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this dispute worthy?

I'd leave it alone. Disputing it could easily get the late added to the other reports, and if there are others that aren't listed those could get added also.
Message 2 of 4
AMil93
Established Member

After posting last night I remembered that I requested a DV from the CA who purchased the debt. They sent statements for each month the account was opened. Turns out, I made an on-time payment 12/2015. Synchrony reported lates every month from DOFD until they sold the account a year later so I don't think any other lates can be added

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As a preliminary consideration, it is common misconception that one can scour their credit report, find any error/inaccuracy, and then get the entire account or all derogs removed based on a dispute of some inaccuracy.

A dispute is limited only to the verification, correction, or if neither of those can be done, the deletion of the specific information that is under dispute.

The furnisher can either verify the accuracy as reported, or correct their reporting, without any issue of deletion of the information.

Additionally, even if the information cannot be verified or corrected, deletion only applies to that information, and not to other reported information.

"Last activity" is not actually even a specific, reported item of information.  Rather, it is reference by the CRA to the last date any activity occured.

It may or may not refer to an added, new, or inaccurate delinquency, and is not typically a specific reporting by the creditor that is subject to their investigation.

I would not dispute the accuracy of a date of last activity.  It is not a reported item and usually has no effect on scoring.

It is the payment history profile itself that is subject to dispute, and such disputes can often lead to the creditor adding each an every possible monthly delinquency to you payment history profile.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.