Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this even legal? Re: Midland

tag
TM0312
New Contributor

Is this even legal? Re: Midland

I have an old HSBC CO which had a CO balance of $239. It is set to fall off 9/2013. Midland bought the account, I'm assuming,

and is reporting the same account on all 3 CRA's with a balance of $819. Is this legal? Can a credit agency report an innacurate

balance on an account that they have purchased? I was thinking of tackling this and doing a PFD to Midland, but the more I started

thinking about it, what they are doing doesn't even sound legal?

Starting Score: EQ 546 EX 560 TU 568
Current Score: EQ 703 EX 718 TU 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is this even legal? Re: Midland

That amount would include the original amount they could collect and all of the fees they tacked on.  They can only add interest in the amount allowed by the original agreement with the CC and/or your state laws.

You can tell them you want an accounting of all interests, fees, etc.  They have to give it to you.

Message 2 of 17
Mish0817
Regular Contributor

Midland did this to me as well, added 2300 in less than a year I sent them dv, asked for breakdown of amount they charged and they deleted from CRA's. who knows if they will end up selling debt but they deleted so ill cross that bridge if I get there ... 

Eq 675
TU 681
Ex your guess is as goodas mine!

Nfcu Cash Rewards 15000, Nfcu nRewards Mc 15000, Walmart 600, Target 400, VS 650,Capital one 3750, Us Bank 300, Discover 4500,Citi DP 1500, Chase Freedom 2000. And I'm done...... no more cards just going to tend my garden
Message 3 of 17
TM0312
New Contributor

Mish..

Do you happen to have a copy of the DV letter you sent them that you could PM me?

Starting Score: EQ 546 EX 560 TU 568
Current Score: EQ 703 EX 718 TU 715

Message 4 of 17
smoovone

Will you PM me that DV as well Mish?

Message 5 of 17
JCSC
Valued Member

Mish

Would love to see the DV also please.  Thank you

Starting Scores 11/12: EQ 540 TU? EX?
Current Scores
04/18 myfico EQ FICO 662
01/19 myfico TU FICO 593
01/13 lender pull EX FICO 522
Next Goal Mid score 675
Message 6 of 17
FLAJenn
Regular Contributor

Me as well Mish, if you don't mind Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
musicdiva
Valued Member

Hi Mish,

Me too, if you don't mind. Smiley Wink

Thank you!!

Starting Score: EQ 522, TU 482 June 2012
Current Score: EQ 502, TU 548 Jan 2013

Message 8 of 17
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

I need this as well please!! thanks!!

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I have 2 accounts with Midland, one was still on the CRA when they first called. They refused to give me a DV. I've been making payments for about 2 years now and I know their amount is quite a lot higher than what I owed , but they never told me the original amount. A few months later they called me on another account, not on CRA, with another exorbitant amount. This had been a secured card. Not only can I not get a DV, I can't find out if I've gotten credit for the secured amount. Neither account is being reported at this time. I've had nothing but trouble from Midland. They don't keep to their payment arrangements, they stop my automatic payments and demand a different payment or account due in full, different agents will call and tell me the previous arrangements I made weren't legal. I'm on Social Security, I'm paying voluntarily. They can't garnish my check. They can't legal sue me, these accounts are past the statutes of limitations. Can I stop making the payments? I don't like the way I'm being treated and being charged many times more than I owe without proof. They refuse to provide any accounting.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.