Contributor
xecutech

Is this legal?

I had a collection agency that I had 3 medical collections with pull a fast one on me, I think.

I called and paid in full on 2 of them, but the person with the CA pointed out that one of the collections should have dropped off a year ago, so they couldn't collect on it due to the SOL. I thought that was very cool of them, so we completed paying off the other two.

I checked my credit report a few weeks later and instead of the debt falling off my credit report, it showed paid and looks like the date had been updated to the day I paid the other debts. It shows a zero balance, but it didn't drop off! I DID not pay them anything on the account, so can they legally do this to restart the 6 years to stay on my credit report?

Going to call them Monday, but would like to know where I stand before dealing with them again.

Thank you.

guiness56

Re: Is this legal?

Nothing restarts the 7 years it can stay on your CR.

If, in your state, they legally cannot collect on it due to expired SOL, it would need to show a 0 balance.

Do you have before and after pics of the TL you can post?

Contributor
xecutech

I will try to get it for you. Didn't know we could post pics, so i will work on it.

guiness56

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+