cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal??? OC is reporting to RU, but CA to EX and EQ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this normal??? OC is reporting to RU, but CA to EX and EQ?

So looking at my credit report...I noticed that my oc's are reporting to tu, while ca's are reporting the same accounts to eq and ex....is this normal?

This seems to complicate things since it would seem like I need to duplicate efforts in everything I do to address both the oc and ca....

Anyone have any insight?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this normal??? OC is reporting to RU, but CA to EX and EQ?

bump

Message 2 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this is perfectly legal.  As a matter of fact, they both can report to all 3.  You can have 2 TLs for each debt, one from the OC and one from a CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So do I deal with both the oc and ca? ...and each one removes or updates from the corresponding cra?
Message 4 of 9
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So do I deal with both the oc and ca? ...and each one removes or updates from the corresponding cra?

I would always contact the OC first to see if they still own the debt. If they do, that means the CA is simply "an agent" working on behalf of the OC to attempt collecting the debt. If the debt has been sold by the OC to the CA then they will tell you to contact the CA to make any payments. This means that if you pay the CA, they will inform the OC and both should update.

On the other hand, if the debt is still owned my the OC, then you will make the payment through them and the debt will likely be recalled from the CA.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And if it's recalled, is it updated or deleted by the ca on those two reports?

Thanks everyone, btw!
Message 6 of 9
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
And if it's recalled, is it updated or deleted by the ca on those two reports?

Thanks everyone, btw!

if the CA does not own the debt but are just hired by the OC to help them collect, when you pay the OC, the CA no longer has the authority to collect the debt, therefore they can not report such debt. They have to delete it. At least that is my understanding of it.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 7 of 9
dursty87
Established Contributor

Once a CA obtains the right to collect a debt, whether they are hired or they buy the debt, they are legally able to report to the CRA's.  There is no law that prohibits them from reporting as long as it is accurate.  So if you were to pay the OC, there is no law that says the CA has to remove their listing.  However, according to the guidelines in the collections manual, they should remove their listing. 

Message 8 of 9
IamB2
Established Contributor

@ssondubs wrote:

Once a CA obtains the right to collect a debt, whether they are hired or they buy the debt, they are legally able to report to the CRA's.  There is no law that prohibits them from reporting as long as it is accurate.  So if you were to pay the OC, there is no law that says the CA has to remove their listing.  However, according to the guidelines in the collections manual, they should remove their listing. 

So legally they can report, but per their own manual they should remove...Interesting. Good to know, really. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.