Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this sound advice!

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Is this sound advice!

Was talking to a lawyer yesterday and he told me to forget trying to do pay for delete for four collections that our about four years old. He said that they have aged to the point where they only prevent me from hitting the 700's, he said that the better approach was to try clean up my 30 day lates on a recently paid off car loan. Any thoughts on this strategy.
NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is this sound advice!

I just removed two old collections with PFD and moved up about forty FICO points.  A collection is a collection in my opinon (obviously the amount matters).  I think you need to do both unless the collections are falling off very soon.

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The collections are medical for about 4 grand. The problem is that stupid law about spouse medical in Arizona. Im content with 650 it serves my purpose for the next few years.
NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 3 of 4
p-
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:
Was talking to a lawyer yesterday and he told me to forget trying to do pay for delete for four collections that our about four years old. He said that they have aged to the point where they only prevent me from hitting the 700's, he said that the better approach was to try clean up my 30 day lates on a recently paid off car loan. Any thoughts on this strategy.

He is both right, and wrong.  You should start with and focus on your most recent derogatory items.  Those will take longer to age off and are hurting you more.  A GW letter to remove a late payment would be smart.

For the medical collections, unpaid collections are a major drag on your score.  If you can negotiate a PFD or use Whychat's HIPAA (google it) method to remove them it will help your score.  Also, if you have a specific credit goal in mind, like a mortgage, any unpaid debt will be a hinderance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.