Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this worth getting back in with NFCU

tag
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Is this worth getting back in with NFCU

So, I posted a few days ago that I was told NFCU no longer blacklists for bankruptcy.  After spending an inquiry, this does not seem to be the case.  Actually, it's not the case.  Declined.  Reason being that I caused NFCU a loss.  I expected it, but it would have been nice.  

Anyway, this brings me to my next question.  As we all know, if you make them whole, they're pretty good about forgetting the past.  I filed for bankruptcy and included my cash rewards Visa from Navy.  Ended up discharging around $5,300.  Is it worth paying the $5300 to get back in their good graces, or is that too much to pay?  The primary reason for the bankruptcy was medical bills from my triplets birth.  I ran up credit cards just paying bills to survive while sending the hospital payments every month that weren't getting us anywhere.  Now that the medical bills are gone, I have quite a bit more income to do things with, including pay off Navy but only if its worth doing.  

I could use that $5300 to save for a house in a few years, or I could max out my CD secured credit card from USAA or any number of other credit rebuilding measures...  Is Navy really worth that much to get back in with them? 

Part of me thinks that yes, they are, while another part of me thinks $5000 is a whole lot of money for what might be a thnks, but no thanks.  

Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is this worth getting back in with NFCU

Forgot to post in my original...  I've got checking and savings accounts at Chase and USAA, as well as a secured AMEX from USAA currently.  Neither of them were included in the bankruptcy, although I know Chase will tell me to pound sand if I apply for anything beyond my checking account.  USAA doesn't seem to be very friendly with prior bankruptcies, either from what I've read.  Haven't ever applied for anything with them except the amex, but I do have the primary savings account with them, as well as our cars and renters inurance policy

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most people here will probably say NO, simply because there is not enough information to make a more thoughtful consideration of your situation.

This is primarily due to the lack of specific details in your post.  Myself, I don't know when you ended BK, what type it was, your current Fico 8 scores, or credit you have received since completing BK.

Quite hard to get to a Yes without any of those metrics.  Stay Positive, and continue to take care of the Triplets!

Message 3 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It's unfortunate that this is the situation. But I'm not sure I'd pay that to get back in. Maybe I'd think about it if there was a reason that I wanted to run several accounts through them, but even then, I'm not sure I'd do this. There are other options out there.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 13
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

I kinda figured this would be the response, but I wanted to ask anyway.  To give better insight...

Bk chapter 7 just got discharged less than a month ago.  My USAA credit card is the only new credit I've gotten in the time since discharge.  Student loans survived bankruptcy, of course, but they already had good payment history..  USAA just started reporting on all three in the past week.  I know its really soon to be apping with anyon, let alone NFCU, but I just wanted to see what happened.  What happened is I got the 1 business day review, and then declined.  As expected.  

Credit score are currently EQ-573, TU-524, and EX 579, per myfico ultimate.  Not good, but 100+ points higher than when I first filed for the bk.  Also, about 120 points lower than before i managed to screw my credit royally.  In hindsight, I think I would habe been better off filing much earlier, and not taking a bunch of credit cards with me.  It really did nothing to help my situation, othr than to prolong the inevitable.  Had I filed when it first became an issue, Navy was paid off, and this probably wouldn't be an issue.  Although I probably wouldn't feel that I gave it everything I could to prevent bankruptcy, so..  I guess theres good with the bad.  But now, I burned Navy for $5300 on an account with a $10,000 limit.  All I have with them now is my original opening savings account with $5.00 in it. If I'm blacklisted forever, and the consensus is that I shouldn't pay it to get back in, should I just close that account and be done with them?  

To add to the details, besides Navy and the medical bills, I also nurnt several other companies...  I surrendered my car and my wifes car after about six months, thinking the extra $1000 a month would help.  So Ally Financial and a local credit union probably have me blacklisted for the $40,000 balance on my wifes, and the $21,000 on mine.  We both have older, paid for minivans now, so car credit isn't a major concern, but it'll probably suck when the time comes..  

As far as credit cards, Capital One x 3 cards (2 mine, 1 wifes)  Wife got a new Capital One card the day after discharge.  I'm still blacklisted apparently  Haven't applied, but I did the pre-qual and they didn't have anything.  Also, Barclay x 2, Walmart store card, Kohls store card, and Old Navy store card.  (The store cards were all paid off, but still had to be included.  Barlay had several thousand combined.)  Also a Firestone credit card, which has $31 on it.  I tried to pay the payment and pay it off after the filing date, but they sent me a check back. 

At this point, if the USAA card will grow with me, I'm fine with that.  I know it won't unsecure, but I figure if I max out the deposit allowance of $5000, they should be decent if I ask for an unsecured card at some point, right?

Scores as of 04/2021

Message 5 of 13
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Still contemplating this. It's been 8 months, my fico 8 scores are eq647, tu644 and ex 652. I've had a pretty good rebuild so far, same USAA secured card, also discover secured which is 6 months old, and a 5/3 secured MasterCard. Beyond that, a couple of store cards, and a car lease for my wife and a car loan for myself.
I've been throwing some extra cash at the nfcu savings account and I'm almost to the point of having the money in that account to pay them back if I decide to do so. If not, I've got $5,000 just sitting there that they've said nothing about.
I'm sure discover will graduate and grow. Capital one still has me blacklisted. Barclays still has me blacklisted. And nfcu obviously still does too. I kind of want to repay them because they were always good to me. They gave me a shot when I was young and building credit and i guess I kinda feel obligated. I don't feel the same obligation to capital one, or Barclays or the hospitals and doctors that led me to filing for bk.
Scores as of 04/2021

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jason0618 wrote:
Still contemplating this. It's been 8 months, my fico 8 scores are eq647, tu644 and ex 652. I've had a pretty good rebuild so far, same USAA secured card, also discover secured which is 6 months old, and a 5/3 secured MasterCard. Beyond that, a couple of store cards, and a car lease for my wife and a car loan for myself.
I've been throwing some extra cash at the nfcu savings account and I'm almost to the point of having the money in that account to pay them back if I decide to do so. If not, I've got $5,000 just sitting there that they've said nothing about.
I'm sure discover will graduate and grow. Capital one still has me blacklisted. Barclays still has me blacklisted. And nfcu obviously still does too. I kind of want to repay them because they were always good to me. They gave me a shot when I was young and building credit and i guess I kinda feel obligated. I don't feel the same obligation to capital one, or Barclays or the hospitals and doctors that led me to filing for bk.

You know how great NFCU is. I think you know the answer and want to do it. If it were me and I had the money, I would do it so I could get back in and utilize their credit products. 

Message 7 of 13
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I have read some threads of ppl who have settled their debts and were able to get right back in with them as soon as it updates as settled . I wonder if they would take a settlement offer and still let you back in ? It would be worth a shot to try
Message 8 of 13
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the same boat...I'm going to pay them even if they don't give me anything right away...They were beyond generous when I was young...and dumb...when I asked them would paying the accounts allow me to be considered for products in the future they said yes, its interesting that they never shut down the savings account (mine either) a CSR told me that was a good sign. 

I think you should do it!  You're already there...8mths later and you're still thinking about it...seems like you already have the answer!

Message 9 of 13
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Jason, if you can pay NFCU, I recommend you do so.  And, I have learned through experience, do not close down the membership.  You spoke of buying a house in the future and NFCU has great mortgage rates.  You need to think about that, too.  I don't know about USAA mortgage rates, but don't close that account either.  Good luck to you.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.