mishabear

Issue with Midland Collections

I have an old lingering debt I would like to deal with but I had problems with my first attempt.  I had an initial debt of under $4000 that went to collections.  In 2002, I lost my job, wife, home, etc...hard times. About 18 month ago, they found me and told me I owe about $11K (three times the original debt?). I made a deal with them and paid $4000 and was to pay another $1800 and call it good.  When I went to pay the $1800, they said I owed TWO more payments. I contested it but they insisted. I tried to talk to higher ups and got nowhere. I asked for a recording of our deal and got nothing. I said "screw it" and planned to just let it roll off, which it will shortly.  

Now I am trying to buy a house and it's coming back to haunt me. They say I owe $7200. I don't contest that I owe them something but 3 times the original debt seems awfully high for such a short period. And it irks me that they would reneg on the deal we made. Can I contest it if I paid something on it already? What can I do to get this unscrupulous anchor off my neck?

Thanks.

Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Re: Issue with Midland Collections

You said it was due to fall off "shortly"...how shortly?

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

mishabear

Re: Issue with Midland Collections

About a year to 18 months.  Not sure exactly.  Credit report is at home.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}