Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with TU and a tax judgment

tag
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

Issue with TU and a tax judgment

I have a NYS tax judgment on my TU credit report. They're reporting it as a lien. EQ and EX had it as a judgment. NYS judgments stay on your report for 5 years. The judgment is from 2011. I filed disputes through CFPB and both EX & EQ took them off early. Since TU has it as a lien, they will keep it on my report for 7 years since it was paid, which is 2019.

I've sent them a copy of the satisfaction of judgment letter from NYS and they told me that wasn't good enough to change anything. They told me queens county clerk said nothing has changed with the judgment. I told them that they're right, nothing has changed. It was misfiled from the start. I then asked them, what was good enough ? They responded they can't tell me. They have their trusted vendors who gets them their information. I can't understand how thats even legal. I'm on my fourth dispute and I dont know what else to do.

Any help on what to do next ?

EXP: 683 TU: 716 EQ: 716
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Issue with TU and a tax judgment

@Lou_Rod87 wrote:

I have a NYS tax judgment on my TU credit report. They're reporting it as a lien. EQ and EX had it as a judgment. NYS judgments stay on your report for 5 years. The judgment is from 2011. I filed disputes through CFPB and both EX & EQ took them off early. Since TU has it as a lien, they will keep it on my report for 7 years since it was paid, which is 2019.

I've sent them a copy of the satisfaction of judgment letter from NYS and they told me that wasn't good enough to change anything. They told me queens county clerk said nothing has changed with the judgment. I told them that they're right, nothing has changed. It was misfiled from the start. I then asked them, what was good enough ? They responded they can't tell me. They have their trusted vendors who gets them their information. I can't understand how thats even legal. I'm on my fourth dispute and I dont know what else to do.

Any help on what to do next ?

The CRAs dont get the info from the courts or the county recorders they buy it from dealers in info like Lexis Nexis. Since they are being recalcitrant with you on this I would just file a complaint with the NY AG on the CRA.

Message 2 of 16
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

Thank you.

Message 3 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

in addition to pursuing the matter with NYS enforcement agencies, I would also send the CRA a requirment under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii) and 611(a)(7) for a disclosure of the procedure they used to verify the accuracy of the reported judgment. Their complance is mandatory.

Such method of verification  requests are specifically provided for under those sections of the FCRA, and have a mandatory response period of 15 days.  I would send them a request under those provisions, and if they fail to comply, that would also be basis for a formal complaint to the CFPB for violation of the FCRA.

Message 4 of 16
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

How do I go about doing that ?

Message 5 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Letter addressed to the CRA:

This is a request under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii) and 611(a)(7) for full description of the procedure used by you to determine the accuracy of the judgment (..identify...) that you verified in response to my prior dispute  "....identification of the dispute......". 

Message 6 of 16
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

Thanks!

Message 7 of 16
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

I tried doing it over the phone. They didn't want to give me anything. Snail mail it is.

Message 8 of 16
Lou_Rod87
Established Member

Found a US phone number on these forums. They were alot more helpful but the supervisor still didn't want to fix it or take it off. They're going to call me back tomorrow while another department reviews my dispute.

Message 9 of 16
beezer32
Regular Contributor

I threatened TransUnion with a FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii) violation and they immediately changed their tune. Smiley Wink Good luck! YMMV.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.