Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with judgment details being updated on credit report - need advice

tag
Mizsass
Valued Member

Issue with judgment details being updated on credit report - need advice

Hi,

I had an old judgment I tried to get dropped by the law firm. They wouldn't drop the judgment but they did agree to a settlement. This was in September. I was trying to get approved on a mortgage and had to pay it.

The amount on my credit report was different from what they originally tried to get me to pay due to interest. After I refused to pay the interest and told them I'd have my attorney contact them, they dropped the interest and agreed to a settlement for the original amount (which is what is on my credit report).  I have faxed copies from the law firm on their letter head of the settlement offer, and a screenshot of the offer from their internal system. I also have a receipt from the payment and acceptance of the payment/notification of payment in full on their letterhead. They told me they would update my credit report and the court records within 30 days.

My credit report still has not been updated. I've opened an online dispute because it is impacting my ability to get credit. I faxed the law firm, with the documentation and a request that they update my record and they responded wanting me to call them. I am not conducting any business with them via the telephone.

I faxed copies into Equifax, and my dispute is pending. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issue with judgment details being updated on credit report - need advice

The law firm doesn't report or update your CR.

If this is a judgment, it is being reported by a 3rd party company that gathers information concerning PR and submits it to the CRA.

Disputing is the best thing to do, however it will not be updated, unless it has been updated on the court house, which the law firm is responsible for doing.

I believe they must file a record of satisfaction or something along those lines with the courts. Contact your court house and see if it has been done and if it hasn't, ask them what to do. Each court is different.

Message 2 of 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Issue with judgment details being updated on credit report - need advice

Also, when you contact the courthouse, if they say it hasn't been recorded yet then ask what the timeframe is.  There are some places where it can take 60-90 days to get documents recorded, especially when their is a refi boom going on.  That may be why the attorney asked you to contact them.  They may be wanting to explain the procedures to you.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.