Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with ECSI and former school

tag
thehollowaytape
Contributor

Issues with ECSI and former school

So, first things first.. I was really dumb about my credit when I was younger. I know that, and believe me I am trying to fix it as best as I can. I'm really hoping you all can offer me some advice. This situation with ECSI and my former school is making me feel so hopeless for my credit score and my future ability to get a mortgage.

I went to college back in 2008-2009 and somehow I ended up with an institutional loan through the school in the amount of $856. (I didn't even know about it, and still don't even know what it was for..) Shortly after leaving school, I moved away from the address that the school had on file. I still received letters and such on my Stafford loans so I figured all was well. I had my loans consolidated in 2013, and shortly after that happened I received a call from ECSI. They informed me of the loan and the fact that the consolidation did not pay for it. I was going through a difficult time financially, and was unable to pay it at that time and was honest with them about it. They said they'd put it in their notes to give me a call after the first of the year. I got back into school January 2015, and got in touch with my school and ECSI. I had a hold on my transcript through my school, and they agreed that if I made payments for 6 months they'd release the hold and allow me to get my transcript to continue school the next semester, which I did. The only problem is that now, from the moment I began making payments to ECSI again, they reported me as 180 days late every single month. I now have an entire year's worth of 180 day late reports on that account.

This is what it looks like on my Equifax report:

EQ.png

and on my Experian report:

EX.png

It appears they have not been reporting to TransUnion.

So, is there anything that can be done for me or am I just screwed? My understanding is that even though the DoFD was 10/2009 (which would have made it drop off of my credit report around October of this year, correct? Smiley Frustrated), now that I made a payment in December of 2014, it is not going to come off until 7 years after I pay the loan off. I have contacted both my school and ECSI and they were not at all helpful and pretty much just told me to suck it up. This is so frustrating and (as you can tell) is keeping me up at night. I have been waiting almost 7 years for all of the stupid things I did as a dumb, uninformed teenager to come off of my credit report and now I feel like I'm being punished for trying to pay off a debt. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
thehollowaytape
Contributor

Re: Issues with ECSI and former school

No one? Smiley Sad My main question here is I want to understand this: by making a partial payment on the debt, is it stuck on my report for another seven years? Or will it still fall off of my credit reports 7 years after the DoFD?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issues with ECSI and former school

I too had a loan I was unaware of with ECSI from my school. However, mine was for a far bigger amount. 

Anywho, I believe it is between 6 and 7 years for a negative to fall off your report (could be more or less depending on your state laws.)

Were your other loans in forebearance/deferment for any time you have lates on the ECSI account? I ask this because my other loans were and I was able to get my school to back date the ECSI loan and to say I was in forebearance by filing out a form with proof of the forebearance.

Also, I believe you are continually receiving the 180day lates because the past due balance hasn't been paid. (If you have paid the past due and it's updating that way, try contacting them.)

Hope the little info I gave helps. GL

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.