Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with an Equifax dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues with an Equifax dispute

In May 2012, we purchased a new house.  At the time, we were living in a apartment.   We sold the house in 2014 and moved back into an apartment.  At that time, our credit was fine.  In December, 2015, we attempted to move to another apartment and the apartment complex from 2012 popped up on our credit report.  It stated we owed $9,131!  I have no idea where this came from and why it took so long to show up. We have never received a letter or call from the collection agency, Hunter Warfield.  I called the complex and asked for the information showing what we owed.  They could not provide it.  I called the management company and was told they do not have that information either.  So, I contacted the apartment manager again and asked her to provide the information so that I could take care of it, if I actually owed it.  She said she would check on it and contact me.  I never heard back from her.  So, I sent a dispute letter to Equifax stating that I had contacted them and they couldn't verify it was valid.  Equifax closed the dispute in less than one week and claimed it was verified.  We called Equifax and asked that they provide the details so we could see what they claimed we owed.  They said they could not provide that to us.  I don't understand how they can leave this on our credit when no one will provide me the information show how they claim we owe $9,131.  What should we do now?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issues with an Equifax dispute

@Anonymous wrote:

In May 2012, we purchased a new house.  At the time, we were living in a apartment.   We sold the house in 2014 and moved back into an apartment.  At that time, our credit was fine.  In December, 2015, we attempted to move to another apartment and the apartment complex from 2012 popped up on our credit report.  It stated we owed $9,131!  I have no idea where this came from and why it took so long to show up. We have never received a letter or call from the collection agency, Hunter Warfield.  I called the complex and asked for the information showing what we owed.  They could not provide it.  I called the management company and was told they do not have that information either.  So, I contacted the apartment manager again and asked her to provide the information so that I could take care of it, if I actually owed it.  She said she would check on it and contact me.  I never heard back from her.  So, I sent a dispute letter to Equifax stating that I had contacted them and they couldn't verify it was valid.  Equifax closed the dispute in less than one week and claimed it was verified.  We called Equifax and asked that they provide the details so we could see what they claimed we owed.  They said they could not provide that to us.  I don't understand how they can leave this on our credit when no one will provide me the information show how they claim we owe $9,131.  What should we do now?

Continuosly disputing with the CRA will get you nowhere fast. You need to request debt validation under FDCPA from Hunter Warfield.

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did you receive a formal collection ("dunning") notice from the debt collector? 

If so, when?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never received anything from them.  I didn't even know it existed until I had an apartment check my credit last year.  They have never called or mailed me anything.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then any DV you send to the debt collector will still be timely, meaning it will impose a cease collection bar on them, which will remain in effect until they choose to send validation.  

What is your state of residence?  You may have enhanced DV requirements under your state debt collection laws/regs.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in Texas.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in Texas.

Ahhh.... Lucky You. Send a DV under Texas Financial code (cite the relevant TFC code specifically) - it must be removed from your reports until they provide validation.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I received a little good news.  I was able to get the apartments to agree to remove this.  The manager stated they will contact Hunter Warfield to have removed.  I had her send me an email stating that.  So, should I send that email to the 3 credit reporting agencies or wait on them?

Message 8 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I received a little good news.  I was able to get the apartments to agree to remove this.  The manager stated they will contact Hunter Warfield to have removed.  I had her send me an email stating that.  So, should I send that email to the 3 credit reporting agencies or wait on them?

That is good to hear. Keep that email. Maybe ask how soon they are going to put it through first.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.